Riots - which punishment possible?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 9 August 2011 12.38pm
Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any members in legal profession who can tell us which punishment we can expect to see imposed on the thugs. I'm not interested in what they *should* get, just what they *can* get.

I'm guessing that many of them are probably first-time offenders - what can they get? I'm hoping that serial offenders will get as much as prison sentence (how long?).

Any ideas? Thanks!
Wednesday 10 August 2011 11.00am
D.N.A the lot of them, because as sure as eggs are eggs they will carry out further crimes, It may possibly depend on what they are initially charged with?
Wednesday 10 August 2011 11.03am
A bit of community service might be something a judge could impose - I think it can be calculated by hours according to the gravity of the offence.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 11.22am
Probably nothing. According to today's paper they are pleading guilty to trespass having claimed they were trying to persuade their friends to leave the shops they were looting.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 11.51am
Warning and/or community service only because they are so young, first offenders, with or without criminal records, etc. Another soft approach to thugs.

I lost two bicycles in less than three months. There were CCTV cameras but the police didn't have the resources to go through it. My old bicycles were only 15 each and therefore not cost effective for the police to pursue my case. These young thugs got away with it and they are not afraid of CCTV camera. Hence, bike theft continues in my area. If they know they can get away with it, they will continue to commit crime and the type of crime can only get worse as they grow older.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 12.06pm
nothing scares them...becaue they know what a soft touch the courts and prisons have become as a result of the work of the human rights lobby. the most popular action seems to be to stop the benefits of the parents and apply pressure that way, its unlikely any of them work or pay tax
Wednesday 10 August 2011 12.17pm
A lot of people are actually pleading guilty; I heard on the news yesterday that the longest sentence whatever type of judge/court they are getting sent to is six months, so the judges are referring the cases to The Crown court (I think) where they can and are likely to receive longer sentences. How long, I am not sure.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 12.40pm
Believe me not, prosecution cases on this thugs will die down. The government will only pursue a few to be put on the media. It may be too costly to pursue all cases as there are so many of them, knowing they won't get a lot from the court. The law protects these nasty juveniles.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 3.33pm
After referral to the Crown Court, it is a maximum of ten years.

BBC News wrote:
One case before the court on Wednesday morning was a man called Alexis Bailey, a 31-year-old who works at a primary school in Stockwell. He was found in an electrical goods store in Croydon on Monday and pleaded guilty to burglary.
His case was typical in that the magistrates, having heard the guilty plea, committed him for sentence at Crown Court.

The reason for that is they felt the riot was such an aggravating feature to the burglary that the Crown Court, with its additional powers, ought to pass sentence.

The magistrates could only impose a jail term of six months - at the Crown Court, that sentence could be up to 10 years.

They were committing to Crown Court in a large number of cases, giving an indication of the seriousness with which these offences are being treated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14478063
Wednesday 10 August 2011 6.16pm
This is so ridiculous. Just heard on BBC that one 19-yr-old student got sentenced to one day in prison and since he waited in prison for a day for his trial, he was let go!

It is so frustrating. It definitely sends out a wrong message - seems like this is ok, you get an ASBO and off you go!

I hope they do refer as many cases as possible to Crown Court - but I fear that they will give up on the practice due to costs and prison overcrowding. Frustrating!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: