New to London and seeking various info

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 7.17pm
ok, so many questions - thinking about moving to Shad Thames area and bring my indoor cat. First off, is it really difficult to rent with pets in this area? Are there many local vets?

I wondered about local clubs - squash, running, badminton....lunch clubs at weekends....

I don't know many people in London as most of my friends travel home at night and weekends so need to find a social life I guess.

Any suggestions - also if not Shad Thames, then St Catherine Dock, Shoreditch area - really need advice on that also. Many thanks in advance!
Wednesday 10 August 2011 7.35pm
Hello Satchi.
there was a discussion recently about vets
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/143272/page=1
A forum search brings others up.

The areas your considering are quite different. Shoreditch is where all the fashiony clubs are, and it's heaving at the weekend. If you like being around that sort of thing I should think Shad Thames and St Katherine Docks would bore you to tears, but then both are not too far away from it.

Here's a badminton thread
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/86675/141250#msg-141250
Wednesday 10 August 2011 7.40pm
Thanks so much for that Beetroot - whilst I don't mind the occasional fashiony club, living amongst them is a different matter.....just found the vet thread and the vet in question was the one I was considering moving to be around.

Will check out the badminton thread also - again, thanks.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 9.42pm
Hi Satchi

Be upfront about your cat when applying for flats. I work for a local agent and some blocks allow pets with permission and a landlord may ask for a slighlty higher deposit but we've got a few flats let with cats. It only becomes a real issue when you try and hide it.

As far as a social life, find somewhere to volunteer that interests you - it's a great way to meet like minded people and make friends. I've been volunteering at the Globe Theatre for 12 years and it's my London family now.

Have lived in Shad Thames & near St Katherines, much more going on, restaurants etc in Shad Thames so would say Shad Thames every time : ).

Hope that helps.
Thursday 11 August 2011 11.45am
LelB,

Thanks for that, it'll be my work that will be taking out the lease so I'll let them do the bargaining.

I like the look of Shad Thames and it's not too far to walk to work. I notice that some of the complex's have gyms so I'm now debating about moving somewhere with a gym or join a gym......

I'd been considering joining Red Cross in Scotland and volunteering for event first aid - might still look at doing that down south.

You very very helpful so again thanks.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: