areas to avoid?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 August 2011 10.44am
Hi all

Come september i'll be studying medicine at Guy's campus at KCL (based at Guy's hospital) near London Bridge.

I've been down there a few times and the area seems perfectly fine...but then my cousin who lives in London told me to beware of Elephant and Castle and Bermondsey...
is it true these areas are really that bad when it comes to crime like muggings / robbery?

Thursday 11 August 2011 11.04am
Hi, manny and welcome to the SE1 Forum.

I have lived in SE1 for the last 7 years [after 16 years 'down the road' in SE16], so I feel that I know the area pretty well.

Sure, there are parts of the E&C which make me feel uncomfortable - but, then, I know several young women who walk home from Bermondsey Square without incident, at night, and feel perfectly safe.

Bermondsey is a much wider area but I feel safe where I live, around Leathermarket Street/Long Lane.

Like any cosmpoplitan City, there will always be pockets of potential problems and sometimes an overlap.

I love this area; the people [from born'n'bred locals to international residents], the central location, the amenities, restaurants etc. Give it a whirl!
Thursday 11 August 2011 11.06am
The Elephant can be a bit dodgy at night time, but in general I think the area is fine, i live right next to guys, never had any problems.
Thursday 11 August 2011 11.15am
It's the students at KCL you need to worry about (joke)
Yesterday someone pressed the fire alarm and New Hunt's House was evacuated on a false alarm.
Thursday 11 August 2011 11.52am
phoney wrote:
It's the students at KCL you need to worry about (joke)
Yesterday someone pressed the fire alarm and New Hunt's House was evacuated on a false alarm.

hahahaha! oh dear!
Thursday 11 August 2011 12.33pm
Generaly you should be fine. As with any major city you need to keep your wits about you but you're as safe here as you are in most areas of the capital. I've been living towards the Elephant for 10 years and have only ever had one incident and that pretty opportunistic where someon tried to grab my phone. I was using it away from the main area, on a quiet street at dusk. Oddly enough I'd say that the Elephant and Castle was safer as there are a lot of people around, it's the quieter streets where you have to be most attentive.
Thursday 11 August 2011 2.30pm
Definitely agree there - the central E&C areas tend to feel safe at night because it is busy and well lit. London Bridge area is similar - as long as you don't end up in some dark alley by yourself you should have no worries. As with any city, you need to be careful of going into some areas, but in general it is pretty good here. My other half and I have been in the area for 8 years, living in various different bits of Bermondsey and we've had no problems at all.
Thursday 11 August 2011 3.23pm
Don't walk around the streets with a mobile (smart) phone glued to your ear. Then you'll be fine.
Thursday 11 August 2011 11.17pm
As mentioned above, the Elephant is busy round the clock and is populated by the same ordinary mix of people who live everywhere else and is not exclusively inhabited by criminal classes waiting for newcomers to stray into their patch. I have lived there for 18 years and never had any problems - quite the contrary. I would quite happily walk round to the 24 hour shop at 3am without a second thought. I always find it strange that people seem to think there are areas where you are bound to be mugged. You have to be street wise wherever you are in London.
Thursday 11 August 2011 11.50pm
I guess I'm too middle-aged to be awake at 3am but if I were I wouldn't worry about walking round to the shop either. Like most people who've posted, I wouldn't go via any dark alleyways. But I'm female and I'd still feel fine.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: