Have your say about Great Suffolk Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 11 August 2011 1.13pm
Great Suffolk Street is changing every day.

Southwark Council with Better Bankside and the Bankside Residents Forum have appointed architects Adams & Sutherland to develop a vision for Great Suffolk Street.
The vision includes a more vibrant pedestrian-friendly street, with slower traffic, enhanced business opportunities, spaces to relax and interact, while working with and refining the unique character of the street.

To have your say, download the vision document and for regular updates please visit

Thursday 11 August 2011 2.23pm
It seems a bit daft to cut off the current shopping area from the plans for 'enhanced business opportunities. Surely there is much benefit to be had from integrating the existing shops into the plans.

On the proposed streetscaping, I'm all for it, but I have my doubts regarding the long term prospects for "temporary seating, removed at night" by the White Hart. Surely nightly removal of temporary seats incurs significant ongoing expense and maintenance? Also, the council really needs to realise that if it puts additional seating by pubs then these will be used by pub goers. Putting in seats by pubs and then whining when pub goers sit on them tends to make the council look a bit silly (i.e. as with The Roebuck).
Thursday 11 August 2011 3.23pm
Time for a 'vision', eh? I have no problem with the idea of developing a more pedestrian friendly environment, however the temporary seating gives me cause for concern. I assume they will be emblazoned with 'Better Bankside?' I'm getting a little tired of seeing these everywhere as they look cheap and are not especially comfortable to sit on and strike me as the kind of advertising we'd object to in other circumstances.
Friday 12 August 2011 1.41am
There will be a new mini park which sounds nice. Apart from that it does seem to be pretty much about some new (wider) pavements and kerbside planting.

How about some nice bicycle parking though? Streets are cars and pedestrians... and also bikes.

Oh and I have long been banging on to the Bankside urban forest people about overhead green canopies - good to see that this might be tried. Hello!

Would you like to go with me?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: