George Inn refurbishment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 14 August 2011 12.01pm
Anyone know an official date for the re-opening of the George Inn. I couldn't see anything obvious from Borough High St when I went past yesterday.

Various web sites say 15 or 17 August, and National Trust says closed for "6-8 weeks"

BTW - I know that with its reputation for atrocious service, no one who lives/works locally has regularly drunk there for years, but I have friends from the States dropping by who expect me to be able to "do the sights".
Sunday 14 August 2011 5.58pm
maybe the refurb will lead to an improvement in service and the quality of food dished up...fingers crossed
Sunday 14 August 2011 11.03pm
I'm always disappointed by the atmosphere of this place - it should be old and cosy and lovely, but usually it seems somehow soulless and usually smells of dettoll rather than old wood etc
Monday 15 August 2011 1.22pm
You know that you want to take them to The Oak instead ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 15 August 2011 4.04pm
People from the States maybe the mayflower Inn would help
Monday 15 August 2011 7.06pm
Try the dicken inn St Katherines dock,same kind of olde world look but more to offer.The George would benefit from an entire change of staff.
Monday 15 August 2011 10.08pm
Take them to the Lord Clyde! Do a tour of Dickensian street names instead... :)
Monday 15 August 2011 10.29pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
You know that you want to take them to The Oak instead ;0)

I do take discerning folk to the Royal Oak for the steak and kidney pie - after warning them to starve for the previous 36 hours.

Unfortunately, "discerning" is possibly not the word for one of the arriving party.
Sunday 21 August 2011 1.21pm
When I went past the George Inn on Friday the sign said that it was due to reopen on Monday 22 August.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 28 January 2012 1.01pm
The refurb doesn't seem to have made the staff any friendlier...or competent. what a tragic waste this old treasure of a pub is...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: