Late night drinking dens in SE1??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 18 August 2011 9.17pm
Where in SE1 is open past 11/12pm and is not a nightclub or bar with loud music? Is there anywhere recommended in the area to meet a friend and have a drink after pub closing time?
Thursday 18 August 2011 11.04pm
Great question! Without outing any pubs where the landlord might be amenable to the occasional stayback, is there anywhere locally that fits the bill?

For instance, http://www.roxybarandscreen.com on Borough High Street advertises opening hours of:

"Mon // 5pm - midnight
Tues - Thurs // 5pm - 1am
Fri // 5pm - 1:30am
Sat // 1pm - 2:30am
Sun // 1pm - midnight"

But as I've been there only in early to mid-evening with colleagues, I'll defer to others on how loud it gets later.
Friday 19 August 2011 12.26am
There are quite a few places open to 1am or shortly thereafter - beyond that your choice is limited and you may find yourself... in a strange bar in a strange place (always fun!).

But if you are looking for a fairly quiet drink - the Rose on Snowsfields used to open to 2am on weekends (haven't been there for a year or two).

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Friday 19 August 2011 8.05am
Apparently it's closed! Many a drunken and subsequently vague memory there in the early hours.
Friday 19 August 2011 8.42am
walked past the Rose this morning and there were builders hanging around, and the windows blocked on the inside - anyone know what is happening there? It was quite a cool old pub, be a shame to lose that atmosphere...
Friday 19 August 2011 9.07am
I think it's the major works the Rose has had planned for a while. More floors being added and the single storey extension being replaced with three floors.
Friday 19 August 2011 9.38am
Platform on Tooley Street is open till late
Friday 19 August 2011 9.52am
The Pit Bar underneath the Old Vic is open until, I think, 3am on Fridays and Saturdays, and pretty late during the week. It's good fun.

Then diagonally opposite is the rather notorious Da Vinci's which goes on later, I believe. It's next to the bargain book shop on the corner of Waterloo Rd and Lower Marsh.

I also imagine maybe one or two of the bars in Lower Marsh itself probably go on longer than midnight at weekends but don't know for sure.
Friday 19 August 2011 10.12am
> the rather notorious Da Vinci's

Is that place even open? Gosh - whenever I go past it I think it's shut down again. What, may I ask, is it notorious for?
Friday 19 August 2011 10.27am
grangousier wrote:
> the rather notorious Da Vinci's
Is that place even open? Gosh - whenever I go past it I think it's shut down again. What, may I ask, is it notorious for?

It's a very odd place. See here

Although when looking for that I see they have had their late licence restored (here ) so I hope I am not casting aspersions.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: