Streetcar/ZipCar in 2011

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 22 August 2011 11.11am
I remember a few threads in 2009/2010 about problems with Streetcar/Zipcar.

Wondered if things had got any better recently?

I'm considering joining (my old car failed its MOT and I don't want to spend 1000 fixing it) and see they have a few cars in the area near me (between Bricklayers Arms and Burgess Park stretch of Old Kent Rd)

Is there availability of cars or are most booked up months in advance?

Would anyone recommend?

Thanks
Monday 22 August 2011 1.12pm
I have been a member of streetcars for couple of years, never really have a problem, they have more cars then when I joined too, weekends can be busy, during the week not really a problem and if you book a day or couple of days beforehand it seems to be fine.

I would def recommend and the phone service and online/ phone app booking systems are good/ easy to use
Monday 22 August 2011 2.05pm
And they have a groovy application for some mobile phones.
Zoe
Monday 22 August 2011 3.41pm
What happened to their merger, can we use both companies yet?
Monday 22 August 2011 3.52pm
they are in process or merging, members to get new cards this week i think, its a year later than planned, but now as streetcar members we can use zipcars in the states, which am excited about
Tuesday 30 August 2011 2.02pm
spacedogs wrote:
they are in process or merging, members to get new cards this week i think, its a year later than planned, but now as streetcar members we can use zipcars in the states, which am excited about

That's what I heard also. I've always found the Streetcar service to be excellent and they've massively grown the number of cars since I joined. However, looking forward to being able to use the cars in the States now as well.
Tuesday 30 August 2011 5.57pm
That's cool - I was ready to leave (I rarely find the need for it anymore) but that's worth the effort.
Saturday 12 November 2011 10.30am
Never again. Was a happy member of Streetcar until merger with Zipcar.Used three or four times a week and always very happy with customer service. Problems then began emerging with vehicles not being at location/late due to inconsiderate members. I can live with that because it is not Zipcar's fault. Streetcar gave 40 compensation for this and Zipcar have done this too.

I had a van booked yesterday for 6pm. Arrived at location at 5:45 p.m. - still not there at 6:20 p.m. Rang Zipcar - spoke to a very unhelpful person who was unwilling to do anything other than to direct me to a car a mission away. This lady said she could do nothing to help as they had unilaterally changed compensation policy and I was not entitled to 40. She said the previous user of the vehicle and had parked it somewhere they shouldn't and the best she could do was to remotely sound the horn so I could walk around and look for it! That was all she could do.

I had to take a return taxi (at a cost of 25) to my destination.

Annoyed at this, I have just called them again and spoken to a most unhelpful supervisor who said they 'offered some really great options' to resolve (e.g. remotely sounding the horn) and that was all she was prepared to do. I am afraid I lost my temper at this.

I will never use them again after this which is a shame as the concept is a good one and, when the vehicles are actually there, I enjoy using it. However, their customer service is truly shocking and this lets it all down. Not even an offer to pay for the taxi! Do yourself a favour and join City Car Club or Herts 24/7, which I am in the process of doing now.
Saturday 12 November 2011 4.07pm
I've also not renewed my membership - the merger with zip car has been a very bad shift for them - the simplicity and honesty of the concept has been ruined - simple things, you used to be able to use a little website calculator to work out how much your rental and mileage would cost, gone now.

All the different car types seems so unnecessary - I only ever want the cheaper golfs and polos (and the occasional van) but now there's BMWs and other things around and the cheap vehicles are unavailable.

Great shame - it's not surprise that the lack of competition is making the service worse now they have merged - will look into the two you suggest.
Sunday 13 November 2011 9.33am
I am not sure I agree.

The service has been fantastic as far as I am concerned. I have taken a look at City Car Club and they have less than 300 cars in London!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When two companies come together there will always be teething problems. If its freebies that you are after then try Moneysupermarket.com my friend.

I have had 3 bookings so far with Zipcar and will be making many more.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: