The Rose, Snowsfields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Monday 23 September 2013 3.18pm
I had a very decent sunday roast there a couple of weekends ago. The cosy fire has gone, but otherwise it didn't feel too sanitised and the grub was lovely.
Tuesday 24 September 2013 12.01pm
I tried to dine at The Rose with friends on Saturday 6pm but all the tables were booked! I had popped into the pub at 12.30pm to enquire as to whether the kithen was open at 6pm and the staff didn't mention there were no tables! Went for a ruby murray instead...
Friday 12 February 2016 9.55pm
Stumbled across this site, sad to hear Archie and patsy have passed, patsy done a mean version of my trousers falling down song, and I met Archie in Clacton the last year of his life by chance, I worked and lived here when Paul's dad Larry lived upstairs and Katie was the manager, Kerry Tom would do jobs for a pound and Maria was the best barmaid who could drink anyone under the table and her terry liked a la de da at the end of the night! Defo best jukebox and I gave everyone free credits and had lock ins with killer (pool)! Sad it's a poncy gastron pub now and where's Paul gone! Loved my time there
Friday 12 February 2016 10.45pm
We really used to enjoy a drink on Friday nights post-work in the Rose and the occasional mid week tipple. Recently, I brought friends over from Greenwich to enjoy The Rose experience. It was not busy and the tables opposite the bar against the windows were ALL empty.
We couldn't sit down ( told so) even though there was an hour until the tables were due to be taken! It was a really cold evening and rather than standing between tables - some empty yet reserved/ some actually in use, we had to go outside. We left after one drink.
It was freezing and we are non smokers.
The Rose has now become an offshoot of Casse Croûte which is great for diners but rubbish for post work drinkers.
What I always liked about the Rose was you could eat if you wanted or not, either way you'd always get a table after not too long, and only ever had a great evening. Bar staff were lovely ! We felt we were 'locals' it's changed to a dining place now and my favourite pub from the last 3ish years is dead.
Such a shame😕
Monday 7 March 2016 11.11pm
Serious drinking is best down standing up.

Lorraine,

Some more sad news from the old pub, Maria's sister Caroline recently passed away after a long battle with cancer. Her funeral mass is on Monday 14th March in Our Lady of La Salette in Melior St.
Also Kerry Tom had a massive stroke & then lost an arm from being burnt badly in fire.
Not so sure as to Paul's whereabouts but heard that he's moved to North London as he has other pubs over there.

Sidney
Tuesday 6 September 2016 5.35pm
More sad news Lorraine I'm afraid.
Maria herself fell ill recently & passed away last week.
She's only around 50 & it's shook up all the old local crew from the manor.
RIP girl
Tuesday 27 September 2016 8.01am
Maria's funeral is at 12.30 this afternoon in Our Lady of La Salette and Saint Joseph Catholic Church on Melior St.
I'd expect a big turnout of local people with a get together later on in The George TBR.
Tuesday 27 September 2016 10.51am
Just had a look at the Rose's website. Food looks lovely but very expensive. They're not messing around with those prices
Tuesday 27 September 2016 2.39pm
We used to have lunch there regularly in Sunday's but they've become too expensive.
Thursday 17 November 2016 1.25pm
Thanks so must Sydney, unfortuately I only found out last night through finding Caroline O'Hanlon (now Barnes) on facebook. Thats when I remembered this forum and seen your message.
What a shock about Caroline and then Maria, so young and I'm sure Terry and her daughter are lost without her. Also poor Kerry Tom! Time goes past quickly and so much has changed.

I could kick myself for not checking here earlier because I would have went to Carolines funeral and got to meet up with Maria too before her shocking death!

I really appreciate you keeping me informed thank you x
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: