The Rose, Snowsfields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10
Friday 21 July 2017 10.51am
Any feedback since the new management took over?

Also, does anyone know what happened to the French chef that used to work there (Cedric?). Quite enjoyed his food!
Thursday 27 July 2017 3.47pm
Went last week when they were offering half price food. Really nice. Back to usual 'pub grub'.

Chef used to run the Woolpack kitchen a few years back. Really friendly service, great fresh burgers, and still dog friendly.

They're prioritising walk-ins over pre-booking, and you can't book evenings through Open Table, but if you ring them they may be able to book you in. We're going back on Friday for dinner and booked over the phone.
Tuesday 8 August 2017 4.58pm
Oh gosh. I went yesterday evening and I am so disappointed that The Rose is under new management and is back to being a 'proper pub' with 'grub'. The food was fabulous before. I ate there several times. Sometimes just a plate of cheese or an amazing scotch egg or more often a full meal of roast lamb (best ever). And the choice of drinks was previously so much better.
Such a shame. I really dislike the new plasticky / pleathure booths too.
If anyone knows of other places the previous owners run I'd be keen to know - or where the chef has now gone? I hope it's not too far away - but I would be prepared to travel.
Tuesday 8 August 2017 5.09pm
The previous owners also own Casse-Croute in Bermondsey Street and Pique-Nique just behind the tennis courts. Both excellent restaurants.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 11.14am
I liked the Rose best when it was a 'proper pub' without 'grub'.....unless you considered a bag of mini cheddars to be 'grub'. Best juke-box in town and a great mix of clientele, from medical students to die-hard SE1 old-timers and everything in-between.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 12.11pm
Agree a thousand percent. It was always a mad mix of people and as you say the best jukebox for miles around. The patients standing at the door with their infusion IV pole drip stands (had to Google that one) having a smoke always had something of the gallows humour about it.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 12.32pm
I liked the Elvis shrine between the two rooms that met you as you entered.
It was as it is in the second pic here:
http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Bermondsey/Rose.shtml
Wednesday 9 August 2017 2.13pm
I remember it being a shrine to Jesus - but maybe the Elvis shrine was before my time. I drank in the Rose between 2007 and whenever it went from I think his name was Paul's (could be wrong) ownership to being the gastro pub it was in its last incarnation.

The Rose back then remains my favourite pub of all time - albeit I'm only in my thirties, and that second picture of it is exactly what I remember.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 2.54pm
It might have been a shrine to Jesus that they'd stuck a few Elvis bits in. I think I do remember a christ figurine.
I also remember the room to the right as you entered always smelling of the toilets and feeling like you were in a flimsy shed.

This conversation has made me realise how many of the old blokes I used to see every day that I haven't seen in a long time.
Wednesday 9 August 2017 9.17pm
Ah good to know. Thanks Maurits. I've eaten in - and really liked Casse-Croute. And now I will definitely try Pique-Nique.

I do like the sound of an Elvis shrine... and customers on drips!... but I only knew (and loved) the recent incantation of The Rose .

Am really glad that the previous owners have other places nearby.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: