Abellio "Buses"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 26 August 2011 5.47pm
Used to be a regular traveller on the 172 from SE1 to Aldwych.
Then Abellio took the route over.
The buses stop,unannounced,for a driver change at New Kent Road,for unspecified periods,then run slowly to timetable,clogging the OKR and inconveniencing passengers and any traffic stuck behind them.
On July 7,the bus made its usual driver change stop.We allwaited.Then the bus finally pulled out,drove 3 yards,then stopped.
We had to ask the A-veryslow inspector what was occurring,to be told that the driver had forgotten to tell the passengers that the bus was terminating.
An amateurish operation that are turning the New kent Road int a one lane bus park and slowing up other operators and traffic trying to get past them.

Related news & features

Friday 26 August 2011 6.07pm
I completely agree with this. The 172 is definitely being run more slowly.

The driver changes are infuriating if you are on a 172 but also if you are on a bus which has pulled up immediately behind and finds itself too close to pull away.

My other complaint is the use of much older buses than were previously being used. Instead of clean, bright, new (or recently refurbished) buses, we seem to have a random selection of dull, grey buses in various states of cleanliness and repair.

The 343 is a joke (Abellio) and the 188 is plagued with driver changes and sudden short-stopping (Abellio)

Dare I mention the C10 which is "run" by... that's right - Abellio.
Tuesday 30 August 2011 10.51am
Couldn't agree more. Used to get the 1 or 188 regularly from TBR to Waterloo. Now just wait for the 1, as the 188 is near-unusable for all the reasons above.

Didn't realise Abellio manages to run all the rubbish bus services in SE1 though!
Tuesday 30 August 2011 12.53pm
in fairness the C10 is much improved with the new buses and they have only been running the route for a few months in which they have so far performed better than the last company
Tuesday 30 August 2011 2.20pm
Ah thanks, didn't realise the C10 had got better as I haven't tried it for ages. Previous experience taught me better options included other buses, taxis, walking, not travelling. Maybe time to give it another go.

188 still dreadful though...
Thursday 1 September 2011 8.46am
richard_badger wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Used to get the 1 or 188 regularly from TBR to Waterloo. Now just wait for the 1, as the 188 is near-unusable for all the reasons above.
Didn't realise Abellio manages to run all the rubbish bus services in SE1 though!

YES! Me too. My choices are 1 or 188, and now I do the same and wait for the 1. I hate Abellio.

And yes, I noticed with annoyance that the 172 had joined the 188 in changing driver at E&C - just yesterday in fact. So that's another route I won't be using anymore.

By the way, did you know that Abellio is owned by NS, the Dutch national railways company?
Thursday 1 September 2011 5.38pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
By the way, did you know that Abellio is owned by NS, the Dutch national railways company?

Having lived in the Netherlands, I can say that NS runs a pretty decent intercity train service, but doesn't do much there in buses, as those are generally municipal.

However... their activities in this country seem routinely to achieve only dismal standards of service.

From the London buses of Abellio (Abellyache? Abellyflop?) to their operation of Northern Rail in a joint venture with Serco, which from frequent experience of getting to and from my Yorkshire bolthole uses shabby old rolling stock that Dutch train travellers would ridicule or revolt at.
Monday 12 September 2011 1.19pm
Oh look!

Surely Abellio, running only 6% of bus routes, can't have 2 routes in the list of top 10 most complained about bus routes in London?

Yes they can! (for routes 188 and 381)
Tuesday 1 November 2011 12.30pm
I've used it for 10 years (New Cross Gate to Waterloo) and the 172 service has definitely gone from barely tolerable to effectively unusable since Abellio took it over.

This is my hypothesis: Abellio only got the tender because they massively underquoted and then, to still make their profits, sold all the reasonably good buses and replaced them with a couple of crocks from the scrapyard. So now they don't have enough buses to cover the route and have to resort to shortcuts and halfway terminations/changes to destinations in order to maintain the illusion of a service.

How many times have I waited 35 minutes or longer for a bus, got on the 172 that finally arrived (absolutly crammed with people) only to pull up behind another 172 mysteriously appearing ten stops further down the road? How many times have we been unceremoniously told to leave the bus (only having got on a few stops earlier after a huge wait) and 'get on the next one'? Maybe the strategy is to force people to pay two oyster fares for what should be one journey? I wonder.

Also - why do they now have to change drivers at E&C and why are the replacement drivers ALWAYS late?

At what point can I sue for the loss of working hours? Or do I first have to be sacked for being perpetually late, despite leaving the house earlier and earlier every day? This morning we waited 45 minutes (two 172's came past but neither one was in service!) before we resorted to taking the 453 detour route.

I can see why people give up on taking the 172, it's simply not worth the aggravation.
Tuesday 1 November 2011 1.08pm
I've just written to them again, about the C10, after another 35 minute wait at Pimlico, last Friday night.

I really don't think the service has improved that much, since they took over, other than a slightly larger bus.

It also changed destination again, from Canada Water to Rotherhithe. Sitting at the front, I heard the instruction at E&C, but it took the driver 3 more stops before he changed the information panel, and there was no announcement.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: