Grammar

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Saturday 27 August 2011 12.43am
I realise that I am going out on a limb here, and usurping debrajoan's speciality of pointing out grammatical mistakes, but perhaps she hasn't noticed this one.
Please don't shoot me down in flames for this, but has anyone else noticed the sign on the south side of London Bridge at the junction of Duke Street Hill.
It says "No taxi's in London Bridge."
Perhaps TFL have a surfeit of apostrophes and have decided to use them up, whether they are needed or not.
Saturday 27 August 2011 2.05am
Aah! The rogue apostrophe...no-one know's how much I miss it.
Saturday 27 August 2011 10.30am
JayBee wrote:
Aah! The rogue apostrophe...no-one know's how much I miss it.

That's a joke I assume, or maybe the joke's on me and there is an apostrophe in 'know's'.
Saturday 27 August 2011 10.40am
Not that I know of. 'Its' and 'it's' always goes wrong with me, I'm forever confused by those.
Zoe
Saturday 27 August 2011 10.47am
I'm forever troubled by the apostrophe, it's and its I can cope with, but why is it MPs and not MP's?
Saturday 27 August 2011 11.15am
Both are correct - depending on the context. The possessive (MP's expenses) or plural (list of MPs)
Saturday 27 August 2011 11.49am
We all make mistakes, grammatically, when writing in haste and/or not proofing, before posting - but there is a woeful abundance of bad grammar generally; the 'couldn't care less' attitude doesn't help, which seems to cross all ages.

The two errors which make me cringe the most are 'your' for 'you're' [you are] and 'would of' instead of 'would have' or 'would've'. The latter is even pronounced incorrectly.

But quite what this has to do with SE1, you're guess is as good as mine's.
Zoe
Saturday 27 August 2011 12.00pm
We do seem obsessed with grammer on this site, perhaps we should all try to be nicer and accept the mistakes of others. None of us are perfect, however much our mum's told us we were.

I too have seen the no taxis sign, and it bugs me everytime, as it looks so wrong. However, imagine how the sign maker will feel, seeing his error forever in that sign, for thousands of people to view everyday. Or perhaps they hate black cab drivers, and did it just to annoy them.

Ah, MPs plural, of course, silly me.
Saturday 27 August 2011 12.12pm
Yes, but is it none of us 'is perfect' or 'are perfect', that is the question?
Saturday 27 August 2011 12.56pm
phoney wrote:
Yes, but is it none of us 'is perfect' or 'are perfect', that is the question?

None of us is perfect is true, and grammatically correct.

The way to remember is if you think of it as not one rather than none :thus you wouldn't say not one of us are perfect.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: