RENZO PIANO can play, play, play

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 April 2002 11.43am
Before I moved to SE1 i was going to move to wimbledon and bayswater, pulled on both and lost money 2000 but moved to SE1 right ont he E & C roundabout next to the salvation army building at metro central heights. I love the area, at least you get a true feel for london here and there a tesco's here which seems like gold dust in most places.

Anyway, since I moved here my place has gone up astronomically and the development plans will boost this even more, propsed 2013 finish. Other areas of London as we know cannot be touched. To top this all of hopefully in 3 years time I'll have a 66 storey building to look at from my window , the tallest in europe.

Did I make the right choice ? You bet, SE1 is going to transform itself into some hip future city area and I fell glad to be a very very small part of it.

Has anyone else had similar price increases, I grinned like a Cheshire cat. Am i going to sell and pocket the profit and move somewhere else ? No way, major things are going to happen here and besides, its too much fun !
Bumble bee
Thursday 11 April 2002 12.44pm
I bought my one-bed flat for 105k in 2000 and it's now worth 185k - can't fault that! And there's no way I'm moving in the foreseeable future either.
Tamsin
Thursday 11 April 2002 2.05pm
where is your flat bumble bee? Is it local authority? I think I will get mine valued! Do people think house prices will continue to rise significantly in SE1?
Bumble bee
Thursday 11 April 2002 3.38pm
Off Grange Road, and no, it's not LA. I bought it off-plan which is why it was so cheap in the first place (although at the time it seemed really expensive!) It's a warehouse conversion (although a little too small to be called a loft!)
Friday 12 April 2002 8.17am
i bought my flat last year moved in on feb 15, it was bought for just under 200 K, i had it valued two months later now in april and the estate agent said 245 - 250 K, i'm happy but even more happy to live inth e area which is goingto have astronomical change,
Friday 12 April 2002 9.52am
It's good to hear stories like these. I moved to the E&C last year and love it. I was in Bermondsey before - renting a loft conversion. Couldn't afford a thing around there but went to the E&C and bought an ex-LA flat so it probably won't rocket in price so quickly but who knows?

It's gritty, it's urban and yes, I have to justify my choice time and time again to other people but I am very happy there. At risk of sounding corny here but it really is the people who make it. As broad a mix of Londoners from every walk, age, race, nationality as you would find anywhere - are friendlier than anywhere I have ever lived. People say hello. People talk. People have been nothing but friendly and helpful. Hey, even the kids (who look like they could be right scallies) hold doors open for you... call me old fashioned but that's a cool thing.

I have rented in some pretty swanky areas of London over the last 8 years and barely even recognised my neighbours. The same cannot be said for the Elephant. I am delighted.

BUT - as the Elephant fills up with people like me - as the LA properties become rich pickings for young, single, professionals interested in (and who wouldn't be) making a buck.... is this going to die out? I really hope not but this area of astronomical change - what will be lost on the way?
Saturday 13 April 2002 6.23am
Wheh, back to the eighties.
The problem comes when you settle down have kids, and want something larger. And don't want to leave the area.
I'm one of the lucky ones. Bought during the recession, and three years ago bought something larger though compromised. (It backs onto the railway and fronts onto a main road - as I said, compromised. But a good view of Big Ben.)
Some of our peer group able to do the same thing despite public sector salaries and all. But new neighbours seem to be two city-career couples with nannies, or no kids. Its different. Lots of my friends are really actively engaged in trying to ensure the area has decent public facilities by helping with kids activities in libraries, being school governors, running playgroups, Sunday Schools or whatever. Because we can't necessarily afford to buy our way out of education and don't have a place in the country to escape to.
The only saving grace is that there are also lots of people living in LA or ex-LA properties who are cool. Including some great recent immigrants who share computer skills on community schemes or give French conversation in local schools.
So yeah, it is a great area. But changing and it is up to us to give it life. And watch out. Don't have kids - or be prepared to struggle.
End of Saturday morning sermon. And as always if anyone wants to contribute to the great Archbishops Park project (refurbishment; football and other activites ond more) get in touch. We are making good progress, but two steps forward, one back.
Monday 15 April 2002 11.46pm
well if everyone bought just to make a quick buck, then it's good to hear that you actually like the area as well! enjoy while you can - what made the area was the people. at one time it was one of the last affordable areas for actors, artists and generally funky types, to rent a small space. now everything's beyond their reach, and rents are astronomical, the people who made the area will surely have to move on. what then?
Ste
Tuesday 16 April 2002 9.44am
Presumably they start the process in another area and on we go..
Bumble bee
Tuesday 16 April 2002 11.50am
I moved to SE1 because it was the only part of central London where I could afford to buy a decent flat on my own. It's nice that it's gone up in price, but in the end, the money I've made isn't real money as I can't spend it without making myself homeless...

I LOVE living in Bermondsey - it's so nice to live in a part of London that has such an interesting mix of people, and I don't just mean the actors, artists and generally funky types, but also people like me - single people on single incomes with professional jobs, and also people whose families have lived here for generations. I also love living in an area which has such a wealth of history (and being near Essex is a bonus too...!)

Funny how things change, though. My grandparents immigrated here in the 30s, and couldn't believe I was moving to a slum like Bermondsey....! Poor things thought that all the hard work they'd put in to ensure their children and grandchildren would do better than them had gone to waste as I'd ended up in an even worse area than the one they'd had to live in when they came to London. Still, I'm sure Willesden will up and come one day. In the meantime, maybe the artists, actors and generally funky types who can no longer afford SE1 could move there....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: