Borough Market ...good news ????

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 7 September 2011 3.57pm
I have been told by a Market trader that Ms Reagon has definitely left the Market. I was also advised that Mr Wilkinson had also gone, however, on checking the website he is still there as chairman. Does anyone know any more? I was also told that the new man in charge is so far pleasant, actually spends time in the Market getting to know the traders, and it's like a weight has lifted of of the Market.
I really hope this is true. Far to late to help the traditional wholesalers, but will the bermondsey seven be invited back?
Wednesday 7 September 2011 6.23pm
jasmine wrote:
I have been told by a Market trader that Ms Reagon has definitely left the Market. I was also advised that Mr Wilkinson had also gone, however, on checking the website he is still there as chairman. Does anyone know any more? I was also told that the new man in charge is so far pleasant, actually spends time in the Market getting to know the traders, and it's like a weight has lifted of of the Market.
I really hope this is true. Far to late to help the traditional wholesalers, but will the bermondsey seven be invited back?

With Wilkinson still in charge, the touchy-feely nature of the new director smacks of a Wilkinson decreed charm offensive in the hope that traders forget the fact that he screwed up big time and then laid all of the blame at Reagon's feet. Apparently, another management chap is still there still on the website), who has been the source of much consternation amongst the traders. The (long overdue) departure of Reagon should just be the beginning of a much needed clearout, including some of the longer serving trustees.
Wednesday 7 September 2011 6.32pm
Again, the focus here is far too much on Reagon / Wilkinson, not the key issue which people who actually use the market feel strongly about...

... that the "removed" stallholders should never have been sacked from the market.

The correct next step, rather than all this management restructuring b*llshit, is to find a way to get them all back integrated into the market.

Alas, its now taken so long that I fear some of their businesses have been ruined... over a matter which the market's customers wholly disagree with.
Thursday 8 September 2011 8.07am
It would be good to hear from some traders. I am looking forward to seeing it positively change. I miss going there now
Thursday 8 September 2011 8.41am
Julia7239 wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing it positively change. I miss going there now

What would be 'positive' change, in your view, that would enable you to start shopping there again?
Friday 9 September 2011 12.50pm
Pieces of Eight

Also heard today that Wilkinson has left. A trader gave me an interesting perspective. He has been there for many years. He says he has seen this all before. No surprise to him. He asked me to reflect on how many times the trustees have made mistakes and blamed it on their managers? He says the same group of Trustees have been there for years and there is a constant management restructure. Surely the Trustees should not be hiding behind their managers? Who gets rid of the Trustees? The reason we are really upset is that they have not yet told us whether they are going to ask Maltby Street traders to return I am appalled that they are allowing these businesses to continue to suffer.
Friday 9 September 2011 1.19pm
Truth Monkey, all this is very interesting but everybody has hit only one target.

There was a campaign against Wilkinson/Reagon. As culprit of everything. Maybe yes or not...

Now it is not enough. Even Mr Nicholson was always pointing at them, and only mildly pointed at the Trustees once.. Not even the 7 evicted raised issues against the Trustees.

So why this? I am not sure myself.

Few weeks ago there were talks of the 7 coming back to B Market. Hope this will happen.

In the meanwhile I don't see any other option but supporting the traders by shopping there. Those guys are doing a very good job and the Market is a beautiful place for our area.

And yes. We as a population I think we can ask to the new management and trustees for the reintegration of the 7/8 ones. At least some of them. As I guess it is not an easy move.
Friday 9 September 2011 2.35pm
Orione

Not sure myself. Reagon disappeared overnight, trader tells me. Saw her on Friday and next week she was gone. Trader tells me one Trustee told traders that Wilkinson is on gardening leave. He now is sure Wilkinson is gone. One trustee was talking to traders and was saying it was correct that those traders were removed. He said her name is MGibbon. She and her husband were Trustees. How do husbands and wives become trustees. Her neighbour is a Trustee too. Is Trusteeship passed from family member to family member and from friend to friend? He said MGibbon was in charge when other managers disappeared. Other trustees have been there for 7, 8 9 years. The managers always disappear. Those traders who were sacked must come back and the trustees must apologise. This community should be proud of the market, even if it is expensive to shop. You have to count your pennies. Thats why Bermondsey Market is good for weekly shop. Maltby Street is a bit pricey too. Would like to hear from Trustees how they are going integrate those Traders back into the Market. They are leaving it too long.
Friday 9 September 2011 3.55pm
I have been assured that there has been no recent change to the membership of the trustees and Peter Wilkinson remains chair.

Posts that merely pass on second or third-hand speculation and gossip are unwelcome here and distract from what could be an interesting conversation.

I am very keen that Borough Market (and what could be done to improve it) can remain an open subject of discussion on this forum. There have been some very interesting insights in the earlier threads re. the market and there are plenty of posters who are both knowledgable and passionate about the market.

People who use the forum to pursue grudges or campaigns do not help anyone.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 9 September 2011 5.18pm
James
Thank you for your intervention. I appreciate your thoughts. Traders have alot to say but don't want to use this forum, for obvious reasons. Perhaps the market should start communication with it's traders to stop such rumours. The void is bound to create a space for rumours. That would be one improvement. Reagon was not a force for good at the market traders say. As pieces of 8 says it's was a long awaited departure and probably the right one. Perhaps a fresh look at the board should also assist? Chefs, foodies, retailers, marketing, communications, traders, councillors, residents. Staleness is sometimes a bad thing. perhaps that is a start towards a great improvement. Strategy comes from trustees and they have not yet got it right and all they do is lose managers at all levels, then there is some concern. Hope this is a fruitful start to a new discussion.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: