Proposal to ban right turns from Grange Road into The Grange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 7 September 2011 7.01pm
I've just been informed by Southwark that my objection to this proposal was turned down. Less than 50% of those people who replied to this consultation agreed with this proposal and this fact was then totally ignored. What is the purpose of a consultation if the results are ignored?

I objected to the fact that the ban would increase the traffic in Grange Road, already an issue for those of us living here. The implication is that The Grange is now a rat run. There are very few new residential developments in The Grange and the nature of it's use for traffic hasn't changed in a decade. Grange Road has been penalised by the introduction of the CC ring road and now has hundreds more residents and many more families due to the new housing developments, yet it appears it's fine to let us have more traffic. The air quality measured by the council has fallen here too yet now they still propose to increase the traffic I give up...
Wednesday 7 September 2011 7.52pm
It's the great God Jerry - there can be no resistance to the car. There is definitely a case for reclaiming our city streets so they're not simply a thoroughfare for suburban folks (who don't have much choice, to be fair to them with modern public transport costs) but there's no chance of anything sensible happening anytime soon.

The car is a double-edged sword, we love (and for families, possibly need) the freedom, but it's definitely a curse for our cities, with the pollution, the noise and aggression that the roads generate. Keep trying, I know it's frustrating when you try and fail, but if London is to become better in any way it requires constant pressure from those who actually live here.

I agree the C-charge has been a disaster for TBR, funnelling so much traffic down it, it's a real shame it stopped there, and wasn't extended eastwards, but that doesn't seem to be the general direction of political travel...
Wednesday 7 September 2011 10.17pm
Good points MikeC but I'm not trying to resist the car as such, though if you commute by car and have an alternative, shame on you. I don't agree that funnelling traffic into ever busier bus laned main roads (in London these are often very residential) is a good thing for the fairness in the community as a whole. The pain of traffic should be shared by us all, not just the residents who happen to be on a road suddenly designated a new through feeder main road by an arbitrary government body which also then decides to shut existing through roads that have been used as such for decades, maybe it's because a vocal minority living in these smaller roads claim they live on a "rat run". If roads such as The Grange, or Trinity Road are/were rat runs what does that make Grange Road, a rat pack run?
Thursday 8 September 2011 8.11am
Yes, sorry, I see what you're getting at, the situation does end up as one pressure group on one street protecting its interests at the expense of the others. I live on Grange Road, so I appreciate your frustration!

The wider point I was making is that it's the volume of traffic itself which is the problem, I'd rather make Grange Road less congested, but I'd also like to do that in ways which won't make other roads congested - i.e. fewer cars overall.

I do agree with you though, that the 'pain of traffic' should definitely be shared, and that by closing off one 'rat run', you're essentially funnelling traffic down another, which isn't very fair (I suspect the residents of the Grange won't agree!).
Perhaps we need more local lobbying to extend the congestion charge eastwards?
Thursday 8 September 2011 12.11pm
I've live on The Grange most of my life, it's allways been a rat run which I don't have a problem with. But this is the first Ive heard of this proposal, did the council send round a consultation letter. I drive myself but not everyday. Bermondsey will allways be congested as it's a gateway to central London.
Thursday 8 September 2011 1.08pm
mikec wrote:
It's the great God Jerry - there can be no resistance to the car.

Ironic that a measure that is designed to inconvenience road users is regarded as evidence of the might of the car!
Thursday 8 September 2011 3.58pm
Not exactly ironic Mapmaker, although I take your point. Mine was a more general point in relation to the general saturation of the area in traffic, and that we were fighting a losing battle against this volume of traffic, no matter what minor inconveniences we try to place in drivers' way.

Anyway, no point arguing about it on an online forum, let's all enjoy the smog, the shouting,the noise, the horns, the aggression, the speeding, the volatility together eh?
dg
Monday 12 September 2011 9.13am
I live off The Grange, was consulted and did (and do) support the proposal. The Grange is a rat run but that's not the main issue: it's the dangerous way that so many drivers make that right turn - cutting the corner, too fast and without being able to see what's coming the other way down The Grange towards Grange Road - all of which make for an increased danger to other vehicles and a serous risk to pedestrians. That's why I supported the proposal!
Tuesday 13 September 2011 10.06am
So if they can't turn right at the Grange, they'll continue to the junction with TBR, which is already incredibly choked up with vehicles wanting to turn right, and will probably make that much worse. Tough luck for those of us who live near that junction eh?

However, my point, which I stand by, is that we're forced into low-level bickering and tinkering around the edges - rearranging the proverbial deck-chairs, so to speak. I don't blame you dg for wanting to be safe (and looking out for the safety of others), which is very reasonable, and the proposal definitely has its merits. However, it will definitely make the traffic situation further up Grange Road worse. We weren't invited to participate in the consultation either, despite being directly affected. Ho hum.
Tuesday 13 September 2011 1.53pm
i guess the other option is to turn into Spa Road then off into Abbey street rather than sit in traffic in the Grange so then this becomes a rat run for the people living there....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: