Copy of birth certificates

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 May 2004 11.03am
On the 20th April I applied online via Southwarks website for a copy of my mothers birth certificate, the money was taken from my account...after a week or so I was called by Southwark to confirm my address....yesterday I was phoned by a very polite young lady who said because I had only stated that Mum was born in Southwark, and that I did not know what Sub-District she was born in ( that was the whole purpose of this excercise to get information!) she would be unable to go through all the books for 1918 as there would be too many.... so ..I can remember Bermondsey Borough Council, Rotherhithe,Walworth,Dulwich..Peckham? how many books should there be?
She has told me to go to the family records centre which would be far more expensive than obtaining a copy from Southwark ( well in theory!)
Cutting all this waffle short if the flipping sub-district is imperitave in finding a birth certificate, why on earth does the site not state that?
Is there any one out there who can confirm that what I have been told is correct? I have obtained certificates from other boroughs with out any problems...

Friday 14 May 2004 12.38pm
Jan, not sure if it will be helpful, but you could try which allows you to search all the BDM records since 1837. (How did they come up with the name?)

You do have to pay - I think it's 10 pence per page viewed, but you can narrow down your search quite easily before having to pay anything.

Friday 14 May 2004 12.44pm
Thank you sweetheart, I shall do that straightaway...:-)

Friday 14 May 2004 12.55pm
I've just had a quick look there and it gives the reference for which volume the entry is contained in, so that should help those inept people at the council track down that certificate.... surely they have access to this info?

Post edited (14 May 04 12:56)
Friday 14 May 2004 1.11pm
Well- I had been over to the f.r.c. and thought that it would be cheaper via southwark....but did note the reference down...told the young lady an d she said it was a different reference for southwark? still never mind after i get my seven pound back...i'll buy you a cider! :-)

Friday 14 May 2004 1.49pm
Me again, as I am doing this from work,it keeps saying download some viewer which i am not allowed to will have to go over anyway as my p.c. has breathed it's last breath ....:-(
sod the council.......

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: