Late licence and music licence application Simon The Tanner pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 10 September 2011 6.39am
This may please some and worry others.... The Simon The Tanner pub on long lane has applied to extend its licence to midnight everyday of the week and for music until midnight every day of the week. See here: http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=835508
Objections can be made until Sept 29th.

This worries me as it seems hugely inconsiderate of the landlords given this (lovely) pub is sandwiched right between, and in front and behind of, residential apartments.
Saturday 10 September 2011 4.06pm
It's a lovely pub and the staff seem nice. I doubt that it would get that loud - not really that big. Seems smart to get the appin before the new buildings are finished

Wouldn't live over, opposite or next to a pub myself but frankly I find people having house parties and smoking at 3am on balconies probably cause more noise than a well run pub.
Saturday 10 September 2011 6.50pm
MBC

Please tell me this. You obviously moved there knowing there was a pub? If they get the extended hours (only to 12) and then there are problems I would think you are within your rights to object. But right now I think your being a bit miserable.
Real SE1
Saturday 10 September 2011 7.00pm
umm...this is the centre of London and i am afraid we all have to live with noise as the price of being lucky enough to be se1-dwellers. having emigrated from the suburbs 6 years ago i am happy to say noise or no noise i am not going back!
Saturday 10 September 2011 10.41pm
I'm with Real and Paul on this. The pub was there before the apartments; midnight's not that late to be asking for a license; and if you want the silence of the grave, there's plenty of suburbs for that.
Monday 12 September 2011 7.54am
Chaps, don't get your knickers in a knot...I don't actually have a hugely strong view about this - as you'll see from my original post. However I do think it is important for people to be aware of these things. Firstly, I moved here many many years ago when the pub itself was falling down and was full of squatters. It only recently reopened. I don't live right next door to it. As you will see from my original post, I think it is a lovely pub - a proper local, nice food, lovely welcoming atmosphere. It is what a proper local should be. I think the new owners have done a lovely job with what was a very sad derilict pub. My only question is why do they need extended opening and music every night? Village East have a late licence but only a couple of nights a week. Fair enough. I just think we need to continue to strike a balance between being a fun, interesting place to live with nice bars and restaurants to going slightly too far the other way and becoming a couple of streets packed with bars and little else and vomit covered pavements!
Monday 12 September 2011 8.39am
Just becasue they have the license until midnight every night, doesn't mean they'll use it. It gives them the option when doing a good trade to stay open, but having been to the Tanner a fair bit since it re-opened, I don't think they're busy enough most nights to justify staying open until midnight all week.

Perhaps they're trying to pick up a bit of business from those left pub-less since the Rose closed down.
STT
Thursday 15 September 2011 8.26pm
Hello all,
Just came across this thread, so thought I'd give some answers.
We have applied for a 12am licence, mainly for use on Friday and Saturday evenings, we were advised by someone in the licensing dept. to apply for all nights, so we did. Being that we get quiet, especially mid-week, from about 10pm, I doubt very much we'll use the extension on those nights, we will only use it, if granted, when it makes sense to.
The same is true for the music licence, we only want to use it for one night of the week. We don't know yet which night we will have music and the way the application forms are, we had to fill it out for every night. The music will be acoustic only.
I hope this answers some questions, but feel free to come in and have a chat if there is anything else you would like to know. We would never, knowingly, do anything to alienate or annoy the local community, we want to be a great local pub used by the local community.

Hope to see some of you soon,
Julie & Nigel.
Thursday 15 September 2011 11.40pm
That's great, Julie and Nigel, and I wish you every success with the pub. Just out of interest, do you sell Shepherd Neame beers? It used to be an SN house.
Friday 16 September 2011 8.45am
"we want to be a great local pub used by the local community."

You are, great to see this concern for others around you.

MtnBikeChick makes the very valid point that, if a place is, to all intents and purposes, a squat, and then becomes a pub again after some years, then the 'don't live near a pub' argument isn't really valid.

That said, it's a great, considerate local, and if more businesses (and individuals) had this level of common curtesy, we wouldn't need so many rules about who could do what, and when.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: