London - the city that...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 11 September 2011 10.14pm
...says it's half past ten and time for bed.

So, the fireworks for the end of the Thames festival ran half an hour late, which meant that they finished after 10:30.

Fancying a quick pint with my neighbours, we found the following pubs all closed or had stopped serving: The Hole in the Wall; the Fire Station; the Artichoke and Camel, the Walrus; the Crown and Cushion; and the Horse. At this point, we gave up.

I can't believe it would be harder to get a drink in Swindon or Telford than the South Bank sometimes. This doesn't always feel like the centre of a world city.

So, instead of staggering their journeys home, and spending money in the local pubs, many dozens of people were standing at the bus stops on the Waterloo Road.

I suppose it means we'll all be cogent at the munitions factories tomorrow.
Zoe
Monday 12 September 2011 6.54am
Well it meant that those of us who live next to the bars got an early night.
Monday 12 September 2011 8.29am
Erm, Phil, I wouldn't blame nanny state for those pubs being closed. As far as I know, at least half of those places are generally closed all the time on weekends.

It's a decision taken by their management. There isn't enough weekend trade. I don't see anything sinister in it, as you suggest.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 12 September 2011 9.31am
Not sure he was suggesting anything sinister, just that it's a bit rubbish!

It is pretty unbelievable that it's impossible to find a drink in London at 10.30pm on a Sunday.
Monday 12 September 2011 9.57am
williamn wrote:
Not sure he was suggesting anything sinister, just that it's a bit rubbish!
It is pretty unbelievable that it's impossible to find a drink in London at 10.30pm on a Sunday.

I think the thread title, and the reference to munitions factories (the reason why the Govt introduced restricted licensing hours in the first place) point squarey in that direction, William.

And, it IS unbelievable that you can't get a drink in London post 10:30 on a Sunday. It's unbelievable because it's not true. It's just not possible in some of the pubs around Waterloo because they don't open on weekends at all.

If you lived in SE1 several years ago, there would have been even more pubs which didn't open on weekends than there are at present. These would be the pubs which made enough of a living servicing the weekday office crowd. "Normal" pubs, whose main customer base comes from locals, are generally open all day on Sundays.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 12 September 2011 11.37am
I'm pretty sure when I arrived back at Waterloo last night it was after 11pm. Well, the pub on Waterloo Road (the Wellington, I think), was very much open and showing the US open tennis final. It was full of people too.
Monday 12 September 2011 8.30pm
Thanks for all the comments and understanding.

William's right - I wasn't suggesting anything sinister, just pointing out that it's a bit rubbish. I'm sure they don't have this in Rio or Berlin after their big events.

yck (is it OK if I call you yck?) may well be right about the Wellington - I didn't look.

Ivanhoe - I know what you mean, but it's still frustrating. As far as I know, of the pubs I mentioned, only the Horse can't be bothered with opening at weekends.
Monday 12 September 2011 9.42pm
Unfortunately many pubs that decide to open week ends are often deserted...
Maybe is our responsibility as well... We could mind their business even outside big events..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: