Lant Street - safety?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 September 2011 6.52pm
I am considering taking a flat on Lant Street in the development called the Rise. But I am getting a bit paranoid whether the neighbourhood is safe in the evening, since it is a quiet residential cul-de-sac next to a carpark that is half a block from a busy street: seems like a l[b][/b]ocale where robbery/muggings could happen. Crime statistics/maps that I have been able to find do not have detailed enough info as to whether specific locations are prone to crime. Especially for those who know the block, am I being ridiculous? Thanks.
Tuesday 13 September 2011 7.27pm
I don't know about that development but a friend of mine lives in the council tower block just the other side of The Glad pub. In ten years of visiting him I've seen no trouble, and he's never had any. Maybe go for a pint in The Glad and ask the staff. They probably know better than most. Most of the trouble that shows up on a crime map happens around Belushi's, which is far enough away from Lant Street.
Tuesday 13 September 2011 7.27pm
Also, the Glad is a great little pub!
Tuesday 13 September 2011 8.28pm
I've never heard of any trouble in that area outside of the St. Mungo's crowd in the park, who now appear to have moved on. It certainly could never be described as a crime hotspot.
Tuesday 13 September 2011 8.51pm
I've lived in the Rise for 5 years and have never experienced any problems at all. I would say the Borough High Street end of Lant Street is one of the safest neighbourhoods in the area.
Tuesday 13 September 2011 9.32pm
Live very nearby- all quiet on the western front- mostly lovely friendy neighbours.
Never even had trouble from St Mungos either- the odd high japes, a bit intruisive jipes in the street-'hello darling- cheer up-can you give me some money'
but nothing aggressive or offensive at all- and even that very rare these days.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 7.36am
Indeed Kory, I should have clarified that point. I've always found if you engage with them on however superficial a level, they are generally good humoured.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 10.34pm
billreese wrote:
I've lived in the Rise for 5 years and have never experienced any problems at all. I would say the Borough High Street end of Lant Street is one of the safest neighbourhoods in the area.

As opposed to the other end where there is nightly carnage.

For the O/P,joking.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: