Woman abused outside White Hart Pub SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 14 September 2011 9.21am
Hi,
I am writing this on behalf of a colleague who witnessed a disgusting incident outside the White Hart pub, Cornwall Road, at 4.30pm on Tuesday 13 Sept.
Walking towards Waterloo East Station she noticed a mother wearing a Niqab with a newborn baby in a pushchair walking past the pub. As she passed she was verbally abused by a group of around 10 white middle aged men. They were very aggresive towards her, shouting into her face from about a couple of cm. As she walked away she challenged them (she asked why are you saying this to me? I have my child with me) - they replied "come over here and say that to my face". My colleague approached her to see if she was ok. They were still shouting abuse and laughing whilst my colleague and the mother walked away. We just wanted to say that this scene was very disturbing, partly because of the racial dicrimination but also the fact that over 10 grown men felt justified in harassing a mother walking on her own with a new born child - in any context that is wholly unacceptable behaviour in these times. I hope this one was one-off incident and these people regret their actions looking back.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 12.26pm
Did anyone go and reassure her? that was near where a pedestrian attacked me in March. It makes a difference when soemthing nasty happens if you go and ask if she is alright. They just sound like thugs, poor woman
Wednesday 14 September 2011 5.23pm
there are more and more of these incidents happening to women in our area -- i was on the northern line about two months ago and a teenage girl in a hibab got on london bridge, as she got on a short fat red-faced white man in a cheap-looking suit got on at the same time, he then shoved the girl roughly to the side and for no apparent reason shouted abuse at her -- "who do you think you are? you are all the same" the usual stuff etc etc -- whilst glaring right at her, giving her really dirty looks. i don't usually approve of physical violence, but i got so angry i didn't even bother talking to the guy, so i just shoved him up against the railing and stood next to the teen and told her to ignore him, and then made every effort i could to heel the guy, obstruct his way and generally scare the life out of him without lifting a hand - just to show him what it's like to be terrified in a public space. and of course everyone on the tube just sat there like corpses pretending it wasn't happening, which angered me even more. as a member of a minority group myself i have had too many occasions in london where so-called decent english people stand back and allow these little fat white men to go around bullying and harassing people in the street. it reveals a certain type of defective mindset in these kinds of men that they no longer feel shame and disgust at bullying women and teenagers. they'd never do it a brickie in a tracksuit, or an irishman or a black man, coz they know they would have their fat ugly faces permanently rearranged. as you can see the incident really pissed me off!
Wednesday 14 September 2011 6.13pm
Any incident ilk this should be reported to the Police and the Pubs management made aware that this has been done--their licence is at stake.
I realise this is easy to say and not so easy to do but unless its done these disgusting incidents it will only continue.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 6.33pm
I agree that the police should have been called, but I also can see how at the time hnijjar's colleague and the victim may have both just felt the need to get to safety. A description of the incident to the management of The White Hart would be best coming from one of them. The White Hart 's phone number is 020 7928 9190.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 7.02pm
Always call the police and avoid personal resolutions. Like in this case.... maybe the guys will be invited to join more rewarded entertainments than just drinking at 4pm...

These issues are very complex. Racism or xenophobia are everywhere. Although here, in my opinion, there is a lot and untold. Which makes it more complicated.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 7.38pm
This is worth talking to the White Hart about. I live round the corner and it is a nice pub, lots of King's College students and office workers. Never any problems. So these guys would probably have stood out and the landlord/manager probably will not want them back.

I will mention this thread next time I am in.
the only thing I can think of is that pubs around here are used as meeting places for matches/events that can be accessed via Waterloo. But 4.30?
Wednesday 14 September 2011 7.53pm
Witnessed a very similar incident about 5 or 6 years' ago outside Sainsbury on BHS. Still very vivid after all this time as it was so disgusting. A young mum in a burka with 2 young kids was being verbally abused, by a fat middle-aged scottish bloke. He was right in her face, poking his chubby fingers, squaring up to her and yelling things like "Why don't you f-ing go home?" At first I naively thought it was a domestic, but when I twigged what was going on I waded right in and started yelling at him to stop. Others started comforting the lady and her children. It made me ashamed to be Scottish. The bloke was obviously an alcoholic waste of space, and soon slinked off on a bus.

On hindsight, perhaps I should have called the police - but in the heat of the moment I just wanted him to stop what he's doing.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 9.50pm
orione wrote:
Always call the police and avoid personal resolutions. Like in this case.... maybe the guys will be invited to join more rewarded entertainments than just drinking at 4pm...
These issues are very complex. Racism or xenophobia are everywhere. Although here, in my opinion, there is a lot and untold. Which makes it more complicated.

Whilst people should not put themselves in danger of assault.

Prejudice should always be challenged by those present, the Police Service is there to protect/assist and investigate unlawful behaviour.

One of the biggest problems with this country is a tendency on the part of people to abdicate responsibility acting to deal with unacceptable behaviour, preferring instead to place the responsibility solely at the feet of the authorities.
Thursday 15 September 2011 1.38am
It's sickening that these morons feel they are entitled to abuse anyone they see as "different".
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: