The fireplace shop on OKR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 15 September 2011 10.42pm
I wondered if anyone could tell me a little bit about the history of this building. I love the backlit fireman in the window a few floors up. I have never been in, but the building is huge and (from the outside) looks largely empty on the upper floors.Is it all dedicated to reclaim fireplaces?
Thursday 15 September 2011 11.43pm
The building has been on English Heritage's annual Heritage at Risk register for some years now.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 16 September 2011 12.08am
It was squatted in the mid-80's for various local social projects for quite a few years.
Friday 16 September 2011 12.37am
I remember it as the fire station - it must have been replaced by the one over the road sometime in the late 60s.
Friday 16 September 2011 12.30pm
I'd suggest you pop in and have a look around, it's a wonderful warren of rooms, many of which, as you say, are empty but have such an evocative atmosphere; just studying the walls with their layers of peeling paint which create beautiful patinas is a joy in itself.

The huge model aeroplane and mannequins in the office make no sense as shop fittings but add to its quirky charm. You really can just wander around for a good hour or more soaking up its atmosphere... I've never bought a fireplace there mind.

Am I right in thinking there was a fire there previously? Ironic for a former Fire Station.
Sunday 18 September 2011 8.40pm
Cheers Tolstoy,
I will def go in and take a look. I've driven past it for years and always wondered.I also love places that evoke those same feelings, and i'm sure my 4 year old daughter would like it as well.
Monday 19 September 2011 1.39pm
The fireplace shop (architectural salvage yard) apparently was squatting there, but eventually managed to buy it. It's a bit unreasonable for it to be on the Buildings at Risk register, as it is watertight and maintained. No doubt at some point it will become flats.
Monday 19 September 2011 5.23pm (see the 1985 Arena thread) has some footage after about 0.40 of this.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 10.24am
It has a switch which used to turn all the traffic lights to red. I understand when it was first squatted it may have been used to help loading and unloading from the building.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: