1985 BBC Arena about the Old Kent Road: now on YouTube

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 15 September 2011 10.33pm
Zoe
Friday 16 September 2011 6.55am
Wow, the past really is another country. Was that some weird alternative Old Kent Road?

I had the sound down and thought that was why I didn't know what was going on, but adding the sound didn't help matters, were the documentary makers high or something.
Friday 16 September 2011 7.14am
I was wondering whether that was the actual programme as broadcast, or a weird edit? Hard to tell.
Friday 16 September 2011 9.24am
Thanks for that, Andrew. It was great watching it again. I remember the series from the first time around, but thought it was earlier than 1985. A classic case of the memory playing tricks. I didn't see the whole episodes back then, so I was delighted to see this time that the mosaics from the Chaucer Library had been preserved. I wonder what happened to the stained glass windows?
I remember going back to the Old Kent Road in around 1988, by which time 'Mick the Fish' from the tackle shop, had passed away. I went looking for him only to discover that the tackle shop had become a mini cab office. I then found another tackle shop at the top end of East Street, (Sothwark Angling Centre,) which has now also gone and the guy there told me that Mick had died of a heart attack, having never recovered from the premature death of his wife. Very sad. I remember the original tackle shop Mick mentioned in the clip, when it was run by Bill Sherman,in East Street. It was opposite my old street, Minnow Street, (now Minnow Walk.) It then moved just around the corner in to the Old Kent Road in around 1959. Then it moved again to its final site further up. Sorry to drag you all kicking and screaming down Memory Lane.
Friday 16 September 2011 10.03am
I think the Arena film followed their Route 66 film and was intended as a companion piece.
Other Old Kent Road clips include:
Pathe films have some gems:
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73685
Anyone remember the "Junk King"?: http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=83960
Bonzo Dog Viv Stanshall is apparently shopping there in the early 70s:
http://youtu.be/ACm2wGbpu4A
Friday 16 September 2011 8.47pm
Incidentaly, one of the clips showed the rumble between the Millwall and West Ham fans at an Old Kent Road pub, when those two teams met in a league match that year. I hope history doesn't repeat itself tomorrow.....Millwall v West Ham.
The match kicks off at 12.30 at the New Den. (Just in case anyone out there would prefer to remain indoors.)
Sunday 18 September 2011 10.36am
wow thanks andrew i liked watching that. how times have changed!
some of the old boys i work with tell me storeys about drinking down the OKR
back in the 80's sounded like a lot of fun. looking on line i found this it's a good short read about the area.
http://www.marciaroad.com/index.php/history.html
Sunday 18 September 2011 12.08pm
chalkey wrote:
Incidentaly, one of the clips showed the rumble between the Millwall and West Ham fans at an Old Kent Road pub, when those two teams met in a league match that year. I hope history doesn't repeat itself tomorrow.....Millwall v West Ham.
The match kicks off at 12.30 at the New Den. (Just in case anyone out there would prefer to remain indoors.)

It resulted in closure of London Bridge Station at great inconvenience and many police vans flying down Tooley Street at great expense. Scum.
Sunday 18 September 2011 8.12pm
beetroot wrote:

It resulted in closure of London Bridge Station at great inconvenience and many police vans flying down Tooley Street at great expense. Scum.

So who exactly were the scum? Everybody that went to the game, all 16,708? All Millwall & West Ham fans in the SE1 area yesterday? The select few travelling through London Bridge? Those who the police vans were responding to? (by the way did the Old Bill tell you that they were going to deal with football related incidents or did you make that assumption?) Or the 3 (less than 0.05% of the attendance) who were actually arrested in football related incidents in the area yesterday?
Monday 19 September 2011 6.55am
Beetroot

Who are you referring to as scum?

Real SE1

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: