Assault on Southwark Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 20 September 2011 10.45pm
I just thought I'd post a warning to people walking around the Southwark Bridge Road area of Bankside that I was assaulted by a bunch of youngsters with bikes this evening just under the Bridge beside the bicycle rank. I'm still sat here wondering how it kicked off, but anyway I tried to be reasonable and it got out of hand (to defend myself I grabbed one of their bikes and threw it into the road). Thankfully a couple of taxi-drivers stepped in just as the youngsters circled me, restrained one of them while another cabbie called the police, so I got away with just a few punches to the head, and the police were absolutely brilliant. At any rate a few of my friends/neighbours have been accosted and even assaulted by youths in the Southbank area a few times over the last 12 months (enough to suggest there's a pattern) but never reported it, so I wonder if anyone else has had episodes with young people? And if so, did they feel it's worth pursuing it with the police or should I just dust myself off and forget about it?
Tuesday 20 September 2011 11.58pm
What an awful experience. I'm glad you are OK.

No, don't forget about it. Dust yourelf off, by all means, but take a stand and work with the Police. It's the only way to make a real difference. If more people peered over the parapet, there would surely be a change.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 11.05am
Sorry to hear about your assault and hope that you get better rapidly. Can you be more precise about the time of the assault and the location. Whereabouts on Southwark Bridge Road did this happen? When? I guess that this has been reported to the police and my advice to your neighbours is always to report to the police either as a 999 call if you are being threatened, have just been assaulted and the assailants are still in the area or are witnessing an assault taking place. Or by dialling 101 if it has occured and you want to register the assault.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 2.04pm
What time of night was it? I live just there and was walking home around 10, 10.30pm last night.

I'm really sad to hear about your awful experience, but I hope people don't start thinking Bankside is somehow an especially dangerous place to be. Have lived here happily for 6 years, without any incident at all. I find SBR a quiet, brightly lit street with frequent enough taxi/bus/commercial traffic to mean it feels very safe for pedestrians. At least that's my experience, for what it's worth.

As I said, really sorry for you and your undoubtedly horrible attack. Hope the police catch the b*st*rds.
Monday 26 September 2011 1.51am
KatG wrote:
I find SBR a quiet, brightly lit street with frequent enough taxi/bus/commercial traffic to mean it feels very safe for pedestrians. At least that's my experience, for what it's worth.

Likewise. I walk up and down it every day I go to work, often returning after dark. Also can't quite place the conjunction of bridge and bike racks referred to. Or do you mean Park Street, countmagnus, which runs west-east between Tate Modern and Vinopolis?
Monday 26 September 2011 3.56pm
I am not sure where these kids come from, but they were at the Bricklayers Arms roundabout yesterday afternoon, about 15 of them, mostly hooded, all on bikes and yelling their heads off and just crossing over the road in front of traffic, making everyone stop for them, needless to say if one of them had been in an accident I am sure their parents would have been horrified.
Monday 26 September 2011 4.02pm
I assumed that countmagnus was talking about the cycle hire docking station by the railway bridge at the junction of SBR and Borough Road, next to London South Bank University.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 26 September 2011 4.09pm
Horrible, glad you're OK. Walk around those parts myself and not always at my most sober, very disturbing.

I hope the Police come down hard on the problem.
Monday 26 September 2011 9.24pm
James Hatts wrote:
I assumed that countmagnus was talking about the cycle hire docking station by the railway bridge at the junction of SBR and Borough Road, next to London South Bank University.

Opposite the new mini-Tesco then, and just round the corner from me. The Borisbike stations are by now so ubiquitous that I guess I've ceased to log them as landmarks.
Monday 26 September 2011 9.46pm
How horrid for you. We had something similar. In April, I was mugged with my boyfriend by a gang wearing hoodies, ski masks and on bikes, some on Boris bikes (would have been funny under other circumstances!), on the corner of upper ground and cornwall road on the South Bank. Unusually for us it was late and we were walking with our bikes as we were with a friend. They came and grabbed our bikes from behind and when we resisted started hitting us and ramming us, so we had to let go. They ran off and we immediately phoned the police who told us to stay where we were, after ten mins they'd not arrived and we felt unsafe (the police wanted us to stay in the spot we'd just been attacked) so went home which is nearby. The police came there and took a statement. They were nice but not at all interested in any details about the kids nor going after them, it was frustrating as you'd think a gang on Boris bikes (and our bikes which we clearly could describe) would be very conspicuous at 2am. Overall we got the impression they ignore this type thing, assuming the kids are too young to be prosecuted and that they're all the same, youths in hoods, and they'd never get a clear ID from CCTV. It was depressing as we thought well no wonder the kids are fearless, no-one is interested in catching them (and by extension, trying to monitor or help).

I'd definitely report what happened to you though - in light of recent events the police have to realise gangs of bored kids mugging and assaulting people is not a petty crime to be ignored but is symptomatic of a more profound, serious problem.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: