'Bonfire Night' in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 20 September 2011 11.51pm
If we are to believe what we read in tonight's Evening Standard, Bonfire Night is to be 're-branded' as 'The Colour Thief: A Winter Extravaganza Celebrating the Changing of the Seasons'! It is to be held in Dulwich Park, not the park that bears the Borough's name, on 4 November.

If it is true, despite cutbacks, it truly is 'Policital correctness gone mad'.

How very sad, and pathetic, that there are people who met to decide on this totally ridiculous change. 'Bonfire Night' is Bonfire Night for one reason only. It has nothing to do with 'the changing of the seasons' and anyone who says so, is completely barmy!

As for the 'public consultation', what a waste of our money.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 11.09am
This story makes no sense. If it's on the 4th, it's not a rebranding of bonfire night, is it? Bonfire night is on the 5th. It's a nice event people can enjoy on the Friday before going to a bonfire on the Saturday.

This is like when everyone went nuts about Birmingham Council holding their "Winterval" events between October and February one year - of course a wholly different group of people would have said how ridiculous it was to be holding "Christmas" events in October!
Wednesday 21 September 2011 11.25am
Yep - it's true. The story was in the Metro today (so it must be true!) here.

Southwark Council claim to have "consulted with local people". If anyone knows anyone who has been consulted it would be great to hear about it.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 12.48pm
more importantly, will the council be organising passports & coaches to dulwich for the rest of us?
Wednesday 21 September 2011 1.08pm
As true as as the annual stories in the Mail / Metro / Express on Winterval, perhaps?
Wednesday 21 September 2011 4.03pm
Well, that's what you get when it's in the hands of the council.

Contrast this with Lewes, where the bonfire night celebrations are organised by private societies, and are at best tolerated by the Council (rather than encouraged, and certainly not paid for). The result: a thrilling total disregard for health and safety or political correctness. e.g. it is perfectly acceptable at such occasions to throw moderately dangerous fireworks (incl in the presence of children) and call for the pope to be burned.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but i know where i'll be on that weekend.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 6.18pm
Ah Lewes on Bonfire Night... Such a thin line between mortal terror and toasty excitement. :)

This sort of thing (Southwark Council thinking they can rebrand the 5th of Nov) is exactly what gets the taxpayers alliance's knickers in a twist. And there's just no need to give them further fuel!
Thursday 22 September 2011 9.00am
IMO complaining about it won't do much good. Its done and dusted even if SC back track as they stated in the Telegraph. I wonder how much cash has been wasted on that little 'experiment'.
Thursday 22 September 2011 2.51pm
what happened to Guy Fawkes night???
Thursday 22 September 2011 3.11pm
boroughpaul wrote:
what happened to Guy Fawkes night???
Fair question. Of course that's also the 5th November.

In the context of this event, being held on the 4th, I think the question we really need to be asking is what sort of political correctness has led Southwark Council to airbrush the 582nd anniversary of Joan of Arc's liberation of Saint-Pierre-le-Moûtier from the history books.

It will also be the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the University of Washington. I will be shocked - shocked - if that is not incorporated in some way into at least the parade, and ideally the fireworks.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: