Work on alarm system - recommendations?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
ADT
Wednesday 21 September 2011 2.17pm
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to do some basic work on an alarm system. When we moved house we inherited a system that is hooked into the telephone line/electricity supply etc. We've never used it and assumed it was just dormant, but it turns out that it makes an outward phone call every day, which BT naturally expect us to pay for. My understanding is that any suitably qualified installer should be able to default the control box to factory codes and then unhook it from the phoneline/electricity supply.

The company that installed the system have not been helpful in the past and their standard charge was 100+VAT before they'd even done any work, so I was hoping someone local might be cheaper. Any recommendations?
Friday 23 September 2011 11.00am
You're kidding, right?
With a name like ADT you must be able to solve your own alarm problems
Friday 23 September 2011 11.22am
ADT - so basically you need it disabling to prevent it making phone calls you have to pay for.

Note that the reason the alarm makes a phone call is that it is being monitored at the other end. If you disconnect, you will probably need to inform the company at the other end that you want to terminate the monitoring. Or the boys in blue might show up!

I can think of two options to disconnect...

First, locate where it hooks into you phone line - if you can find it and it's a simple plug in job - remove it.

Second, remove power from the thing. Normally they are mains powered, probably with its own breaker/fuse in the main box. They also have a battery back up, which will be in the main unit. You will have to disconnect the battery first, then the mains supply.

Hope this helps.
ADT
Friday 23 September 2011 1.16pm
..and with a name like zcars you should have stopped in 1978.
ADT
Friday 23 September 2011 1.18pm
Thanks Boss St. Unfortunately I know what it does when the telephone line is connected - it beeps incessantly and loudly until you reset it, then it goes again after an hour. We had this issue when there was a problem with our phone line and it kept us up all night! For the power supply it doesn't have its own breaker but seems to hook straight into the distribution box. I have located a separate fuse, but if you take it out it gets upset and beeps, and I don't fancy annoying all my neighbours for however long it takes before it runs its battery out. There is a large central box for the alarm where the power and phone line care connected but it has some quite severe warning signs about live parts inside etc., so I am not too eager to open that up myself!

The monitoring should already be terminated - the ex-owner of the flat ceased his contract when he moved out. I think it may be our box that is programmed to call in every day or something, and at the other end they are probably just ignoring it. Perhaps I'll just need to stump up the money.
Sunday 22 December 2013 12.41pm
Hi

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm having alarm issues and could do with someone recommended to come and have a look, cheers.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: