People going through bins

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 22 September 2011 5.05pm
I keep catching loads of different people going through the bins on our estate off the OKR late at night and in the daytime too. Anyone else have this? Have they done anything about it?
Thursday 22 September 2011 5.14pm
Oddly enough Lea several years ago there was a spate of it in our street, just off Great Dover street.
It happened again on Sunday night, they would have had a shock as I had cleared some dog poo up from outside the front door with a baby nappy and dumped it in the bin! Monday morning prior to dustmen coming the bag had been pulled out and debris strewn on the pavement, including one very messy nappy!

Just make sure you shred anything with personal details before binning them.
Friday 23 September 2011 12.10am
I live just off Grange Road and caught a guy going through our bins the other week. They are large communal "eurobins" so he was sort of head first with just his legs sticking out. I said "have you lost something?" and he jumped back out looking really surprised and said he was looking for old clothes or shoes. He was Eastern European and looked really down on his luck.

A couple of months ago we had a clearout and threw out a load of stuff including old medication, some old letters etc. It was most disturbing to find a few days later that someone had been through the bags and our stuff was strewn about in the bin area. Very nasty feeling. Since then I've been careful about not putting old correspondence in the bin intact.

We do have a "funny" neighbour who has been seen going through the bins regularly - not just our ones! I don't think he's up to anything sinister though, just a bit odd and compulsive.
Friday 23 September 2011 12.31am
LeaC wrote:
I keep catching loads of different people going through the bins on our estate off the OKR late at night and in the daytime too. Anyone else have this? Have they done anything about it?

Probably looking for food or clothes or things to try and sell
Friday 23 September 2011 8.29am
They look for metal aswel, we have them in Pages Walk to.
Friday 23 September 2011 11.06am
A modern take on the old rag and bone men I suppose. I guess they're not doing any harm, but it doesn't exactly make the estate a pleasanter place to live.
Friday 23 September 2011 12.26pm
Going through bins etiquette: Take what you want but don't leave a mess!

Always my M.O
Friday 23 September 2011 12.58pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Going through bins etiquette: Take what you want but don't leave a mess!
Always my M.O

Totally agree!! :o)
Friday 23 September 2011 2.47pm
Perhaps we should be grateful that we don't need to go through bins !!
Friday 23 September 2011 7.03pm
One reason you will find someone going through your bins is to look for anything they can use for identity theft. Old bank statements , credit card statements anything with your name/address or date of birth on etc etc

After being the victim of ID theft a few years back (someone attempting to take out loans and credit cards in my name) , EVERYTHING with any sort of personal details going in the bin is put through a shredder !!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: