Great Dover Street, right now

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 26 September 2011 10.25pm
I'm not against students having fun, but I'm wondering if any other local residents are a bit alarmed by the massive student night at the Dover Castle, which seems to be resulting in people spilling out all over Great Dover Street and making a pretty stunning amount of noise.
Tuesday 27 September 2011 11.35am
I walked past the Dover Castle last night at about 10pm, and frankly it was a disgrace...

To be honest, every time I walk past it I think the same thing. Normally there's a bunch of drunk back-packers outside smoking herbal cigarettes and being rowdy.
Tuesday 27 September 2011 12.24pm
Apparently it's "freshers" week. The volume the music was playing at and the noise the customers/students were making outside was unacceptable.

Does anyone know if this would be a violation of their licence? and if so who you can complain to. Also how do they have such a late licence on a Monday night in a residential area?
Tuesday 27 September 2011 2.31pm
What time did it go on to?
Tuesday 27 September 2011 2.50pm
Details of licence here:

http://app.southwark.gov.uk/Licensing/LicPremisesGrantedDetails.asp?systemkey=833184

If you think there has been a breach of licensing conditions it would be worth contacting Southwark Licensing. In my experience they are very helpful.
Tuesday 27 September 2011 2.53pm
I was still hearing noise coming from the premises and outside close to 2am.

Thanks Annabel, i found that earlier. I have sent an email to the licensing address so hopefully i get a reply.

For anybody else interested in contacting them in future the email is licensing@southwark.gov.uk
Tuesday 27 September 2011 4.16pm
Looking at the license, they were within their rights to be serving alcohol and playnig music until 2am, so they're probably ok.

Not sure what restrictions there are on noise created by people leaving the venue after this time - presumably they have to put reasonable measures in place to reduce this.
Wednesday 28 September 2011 7.20am
The reason they got the 2am license in the first place was because it was NOT a residential area when they applied. You can see why MOS are really fighting the planning applications as this is how it ends up.
Real
Wednesday 28 September 2011 7.21am
Thankfully last night seemed to be quieter.

Am i right in thinking their license gets reviewed on an annual basis, i.e. if enough people objected to a 2am license would something be done about it?
Wednesday 28 September 2011 8.32am
I think you will find the licence of a pub is not reviewed annually ( imagine the cost!)

places with late night licences ( post 11pm) will probably have conditions built in.

the main ones being

doors must be closed after 11pm so as to contain most of the noise
signs must be up reminding customers to be mindful of neighbours.
garden areas may have to close at 11pm ( crown, imbibe, woolpack all have this)
limiters may have to be on sound systems to stop excessive noise.

these are just a few of the main conditions found in late night venues.
providing the pub is seen to be complying, its within thier rights to make full use of the licence.

it sounds to me as if the publican there is bending the rules a bit, however if you feel they are going over the top , you should speak to the sound control people or the licencing people at the council.

or ask the publican to control his crowds more.
maybe he should have door staff and a no drinks outside after 11pm condition. ( this was a condition put on one of my pubs)

remember , it will have to be a problem that occurs frequently rather than once in a blue moon for any action to be taken.

cheers
phil
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network