Mayoral Limo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Tuesday 27 September 2011 3.32pm
In these times of austerity and cutbacks, why is the mayor of Southwark indulged with a chauffeur driven Marcedes?
Tuesday 27 September 2011 3.39pm
There isn't a dedicated Mayoral car these days, unlike nearly every other London borough.

If you look closely it's a TfL-licensed private hire vehicle which has the borough arms stuck on the front when the Mayor is using it.

Most councils still have a car with custom registration plate etc for their mayor to attend official engagements.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 27 September 2011 3.55pm
This does not excuse the fact that the vehicle is paid for by Council Tax and sits unused for large parts of most days in Barnham Street beside 160 Tooley Street.
Tuesday 27 September 2011 5.41pm
clearly a waste of money...for a figurehead who does virtually nothing useful
Wednesday 28 September 2011 1.21am
Perhaps if you ask nicely, he'll let you have a ride around in it.
Wednesday 28 September 2011 8.55am
If it's a hire car then surely it's not sat around all day doing nothing, it's a hire car and they are probably waiting for a fare (and presumably it's not the same car each time).

I think it's a good saving, getting a cab to places and not having an official car.
Wednesday 28 September 2011 9.40am
The vehicle (with mayoral arms) is parked in Barnham Street almost every day while the driver is either hanging about close by or sitting in Southwark's offices. It is not treated as a hire car ie taxi.
Wednesday 28 September 2011 3.35pm
boroughpaul wrote:
a figurehead who does virtually nothing useful

I suppose it's fairly easy to attack local politicians as being virtually useless but in my experience we are lucky to get the kind of people who do step forward to represent us doing so. I wouldnt do it for love nor money (well, I have actually stood for election as a Cllr but only on the basis that there was no chance of being elected) and I would be very slow to condemn all those who do. Those who eventually become Mayor usually do so after long years of service and usually use their time in office to raise a lot of money for good causes. You may not value what they do but lots of people benefit from their efforts.
Wednesday 28 September 2011 5.31pm
But why are Council Tax payers providing a limousine for the mayor to gad about in from meeting to meeting. Why is an Oyster Card not available?
Wednesday 28 September 2011 7.12pm
Pretty pointless thing to worry about frankly. It's a drop in the ocean in terms of cost, and there are plenty of less important civil servants, etc, with private cars sitting waiting to drop them around London night and day.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: