Living in the Strata and Elephant and Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 September 2011 10.23pm
Will be moving into the Strata building in Elephant and Castle soon... Pretty excited.

Floor 8 will be my home.

Don't know what the surrounding area is like though. Any thoughts? What's about the level of noise?
Friday 30 September 2011 9.15am
HOw extraordinary that you should be moving into a place about which you have not checked these point. The noise on the E&C roundabout depends on how well insulated you are, and the direction of the wind and so on. Apart from the permanent drone of traffic which you stop hearing, there are the sirens, which echo like mad, and since we have three major hospitals inthe vicinity, never mind the police and the fire station, these sirens are rather frequent. The area is wonderful, we who live here love it, the Shopping Centre is scruffy but supplies everything, the transportation is sensational, and I hope you'll enjoy living here..we do.
Friday 30 September 2011 11.06am
Welcome David! This is a great area - you are right to be excited.

Whether you are OK with the noise, traffic, etc… depends on what you are used to, but it is not substantially different here than any other area of central London. What is different is that there is way more cool stuff going on – and I would encourage you to get as involved as you can :)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Friday 30 September 2011 11.29am
There's a few strata residents on here, many more on the Facebook group (stratans@strata se1).

I'm very happy in the building, some flats can be too hot and some on the upper floors have complaints about the lifts, but on 8 that's not a problem.

Sound insulation in the building is amazing, with the vents shut. Without you have the mix of sirens and traffic jackie described, but I find this easier to deal with than the occasional drunk shouting that dominates in quieter streets round these parts.

The area is mixed, but we've got a decent cafe (la chatchia in the railway arches on elephant street), a passable tesco and handful of decent places to eat, and all of central is within 15 minutes.
Sunday 2 October 2011 8.32am
This is going to sound a bit negative but I wanted you to hear about my experience living at the Strata - I registered just so I could post this.

I bought a Shared Ownership flat in the Strata, 3rd floor late last year, but around July/August I got a letter from Family Mosaic HA putting up my service charge by 100 quid a month and demanding an extra 400 quid for the underestimated since I've been living here. I'm desperate to move as I don't have the money to pay it and I haven't even been here a year yet. It cost money to move which I don't have, I sank all my savings into buying this place so I'm really stressed at the moment and can see no possible solutions either.

I like living at the E&C despite the noise and traffic. The sirens can sometimes be like living in a war zone though.

Sound insulation in my flat (floor 3) is rubbish, I get my neighbours slamming their doors at 4:30/5:30 in the morning and I get woken up by people talking in the street outside at the back of the building.

I regret buying it but was desperate for somewhere to live at the time.
Sunday 2 October 2011 9.08am
Jun, Have you not had the letters from FM regards the service charge? I'll PM you.
Sunday 2 October 2011 12.35pm
Sounds like a nightmare Jun this is the usual trick by developers and there management Cos that they set up. DJB There are some nice places around Strata if you like Greek, Chinese and Latin American foods.
The Tescos is a bit rough and the shopping centre is not much better.
Great Bingo hall if you like that type of thing.
Real
Monday 3 October 2011 10.54am
I have to say I think it's a bit naive to think that service charges on a brand new building wouldn't go up. Quite apart from developers not budgeting for things properly, as a building gets older things start to break and wear out and will need replacing. You should expect it to climb fairly steeply in the first few years then level out.
Monday 3 October 2011 12.11pm
My partner and I love living in the Strata. There are the problems outlined above. However there are lots of good points too. The concierge staff are one of the best things - always helpful and we never have to collect parcels from the Royal Mail office. Also the building is very secure and we feel safe here regardless of the area's reputation.
Monday 3 October 2011 1.50pm
eddglynn wrote:
I have to say I think it's a bit naive to think that service charges on a brand new building wouldn't go up. Quite apart from developers not budgeting for things properly, as a building gets older things start to break and wear out and will need replacing. You should expect it to climb fairly steeply in the first few years then level out.

Am sure Jun Lee appreciated the lecture on service charges.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: