green wheelie bins

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 4 October 2011 8.47am
Finding out that the weekly refuse collection no longer exists from this week, I phoned to request a smaller green bin that I could take to the back of the house instead of the jummbo size one that I have only to be told that they were 'phased' out as as from yesterday! the very pleasant young lady handling the call said she would get someone to call me back..

So outside of my house I will now have three bins, so come the relevant day of collection will the dustmen have to move the blue one to get to the green one...then the brown one to get to the blue one...the green one to get to the blue one...the hip bones connected to the thigh bone...the thigh bones connected to ...(old song for you younsters!)
seriously in the front of the house there is a small 'apron' behind a brick wall, the dustmen are not going to be happy bunnies if they are going to have to mess around with all houses like that, it will slow down their round considerably due to no fault of theirs. Physically I am in no condition to lug around different size bins. I have requested a blue box because that i can move. Is it just me being a moaning minnie today? I do see the need to recycle and if I had my way carrier bags and plastics should be banned for ever and consumers should carry shopping bags with them when shopping...moan and rant over...:-)
Tuesday 4 October 2011 10.46am
Yeah, despite being an advocate of hugely increased recycling, I'm just not sure that the bi-weekly collections are a great idea for highly built-up areas.
I think there's much more flexibility in the suburbs, where you can keep track of who's putting what in who's bin, but I've got several local businesses that use our bins as their own, presumably to avoid commercial disposal charges. Virtually impossible to prove, of course, even if the council were able to intervene on this micro-level.
Call me a communist (boroughpaul ;-)) if you like, but surely this is one instance in which loads of 'green' jobs could be created - massive recycling centres, where everything is cleaned/rinsed/sorted, rather than this piecemeal approach we've got now?
Tuesday 4 October 2011 9.36pm
It's nuts.

The hugely improved recycling means that in theory I only need a little green bin and a blue box or little blue bin and a little brown bin or green bag (happy with the green bag as garden waste very seasonal) and a brown food bin. Instead my big green bin hasn't been emptied in a couple of weeks, my new carefully filled tiny brown food bin hasn't been emptied at all since I got it (my green bag gardening waste has though but I can't put the food waste in there because of the rats and cats and foxes) and I have a huge blue bin I have no hope of filling as well as my trusty blue box which I put practically everything in except plastic bags which still aren't recyclable.

And if you aren't confused you haven't been concentrating.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: