Homeless sleeping all over parks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 4 October 2011 2.00pm
The homeless problem in Leathermarket gardens and Tanner street park seems to be getting out of hand, has anyone else noticed?
I am just sick of these people, to tell you the truth, they start drinking at 7:00 in the morning and by lunch time are abusive and fowl mouthed. Not to forget that they are toileting all over the park in front of mothers passing with children. I find this totally out of order, the police only move them on then they are back within 10 mins.
They seem to be staying in this area due to Mana centre< i used to feel sorry for homeless people but these ones are so abusive and always drunk out of their minds, who wants to see men pooing in the middle of a park for all to see, they have no shame at all!
Tuesday 4 October 2011 2.46pm
It's exactly the same at Millennium Green. The rough sleeps are there 24 hours a day. Last night we walked through the park to get home at about 7pm and a drunk woman sitting with a group of drinkers was shouting abuse at the top of her voice. It's really intimidating - they've totally taken over all the benches by the trees and, when they're not using the park as a toilet, they urinate by the nearby flats. The trees and shrubs, which looked nice, had to be removed due to them going to the toilet behind them. The police are fully aware of the situation and used to at least come and take the alcohol away but that seems to have stopped. A policeman once told Mr Mac that they couldn't prevent them from congregating as it's a public place so all they could do was take the alcohol away. It's very depressing that the parks are turning into no-go areas....
Tuesday 4 October 2011 3.59pm
Leathermarket Gardens got very out of hand a while back, maybe a few years (can't quite remember). The police and others met with the Manna Centre and whatever they did worked. Maybe bringing this up with the police will jog their memories or maybe contact Southwark council.
Tuesday 4 October 2011 4.25pm
The same at the park on the corner of Bermondsey Street and Long Lane (St Mary Magdalne). They are probably upset the parks closed! Its disgraceful that the community support officers do not do something about it.
Tuesday 4 October 2011 4.39pm
Maybe a problem is that they are allowed to congregate in large numbers, so that there is very little a couple of community support officers can do. Maybe besides having their alcohol taken away, they should be dispersed? The public poo-ing is truly disgusting, I've seen that a couple of times, and just the memory puts me off my dinner...
Tuesday 4 October 2011 5.13pm
I started a thread on the same subject last week ( called: Parks in SE1), and I am very happy to see that another has started this week.

James can these threads being matched as there are many points to be combined?

My question is still: why so many are gathering in London bridge area?
Because there must be a reason..

Julia in that thread posted an article that indicated that Westminster council was forcing them out but I struggle to believe that it is the result of a spillage fron W council.
Tuesday 4 October 2011 5.38pm
Also, I believe a relevant equivalent of this would be an option:

Shooting Galleries
Tuesday 4 October 2011 5.51pm
They also congregate in the small park on the corner of Falmouth Rd & New Kent Rd which has a kids playground and was refurbished only a year or so ago at great cost and effort.
Tuesday 4 October 2011 5.55pm
"Julia in that thread posted an article that indicated that Westminster council was forcing them out but I struggle to believe that it is the result of a spillage fron W council."

I reckon there's something in this explanation, as well as the fact that so many shelters seem to have closed (I have no way of telling if this is actually true or not, but it's 50% in Southwark according to council figures).

I guess it depends on where you sit on the political spectrum I suppose. Do we:
a) Move them on/Lock 'em up (Conservative, broadly)?
b) Help them, and provide shelters/rehab (Labour, broadly)?

As a country, for now, we've decided on c), simultaneously removing what small assistance we gave them and also not moving them on. End result, they're in the park, doing a no.2.
Tuesday 4 October 2011 6.03pm
Going points Mikec. Why can't we do both? Proper treatment programs for addicts and enforce and law and toughen penalties for behaving antisocially?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: