Ping-pong tables

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 5 October 2011 12.21pm
Does anybody want a table tennis table put up in their community, for the entire community to use whenever they feel like it?

We have teamed up with Ping! to deliver outdoor concrete ping pong tables. We, Spacehive, are an online crowd funding platform which allows members of the community to donate to projects they want to see built. For example, someone can donate 10 to seeing a table tennis table built, and then when it hits its funding target, it gets built.

We are really just looking for communities who are keen to have this in their area. It has to be in a public space so it is accessible to all. Would any of you like to see this happen? You wouldn't have to put up any money yourself, we just need people who are interested in it.
Wednesday 5 October 2011 1.25pm
Count me in as interested - is this just about ping pong tables or the entire initiative?

A few thoughts on the local area and your initiative.

Southwark Council are doing a very good job of refurbishing most of the parks (an exception would be Dickens Park, but this is a local nature reserve at the same time).

Better cycle parking and other smaller interventions might be more workable, often being too small, or the responsibility of multiple council departments, to get implemented normally. Also, trying to make private or semi-private areas (e.g. within estates, business parks etc) more liveable might be worth trying.

Also, in such a diverse area where affluent professionals and others live alongside or within very deprived neighbourhoods, the kinds of improvements that can be made may not suit the majority, and may be abused by people who like trashing things or don't feel involved in the planning of the improvements. Perhaps the answer is that rather than just being monetary, people should have the facility to offer specific amounts of time in particular skills. This is not only practical (it will make better use of what the community possesses) as well as sustainable and equitable.

The editor of this website will, I'm sure, be happy to do some news items once some ideas start to emerge in particular areas.

Good luck with the initiative which I see has some heavyweight backers.
Tuesday 25 October 2011 2.09pm
Great, thanks for the interest! I've PM'd you about it all.
Tuesday 25 October 2011 2.28pm
Hi, thanks for post, I am interested. I am in a Parks Friends Group (Nursery Row Park) and we work with our local community and Southwark Council to improve and care for our park. Is the initiative limted to ping pong tables? We are currently doing a big survey of our area to find priorities for investment and it would be good to know how crowd funding might help us here more generally with what emerges from our plans.
Wednesday 26 October 2011 10.03am
Hi Luke,

The Spacehive initiative is not just limited to Ping Pong tables, although we are in a good position with them and do have the Ping Pong tables ready to go if anybody wants them. We are all about people coming to us with their own plans and ideas though.

I've PM'd you about it as well.
Thursday 27 October 2011 11.30am
The concept of Spacehive is brilliant and I'd love to hear more about it.

Can you also tell me a bit more about your own funding model as the website is still a work in progress. You are a for-profit company rather than a CIC or a charity so is income generated as a proportion of donations (similar to JustGiving and others) or by a different method?
Thursday 1 March 2012 1.11pm
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the interest you showed in Spacehive. Just thought I'd update you on where we're at now.

Our first pilot projects are up on the website, and the first one is in fundraising and has been for just over a week now.

You can check that project out at https://spacehive.com/GlyncochCC. You can also find our other projects on the website.

Hopefully this should give you a better idea of how Spacehive works.

Niraj

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: