No Surprise Really

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 11 October 2011 10.15pm
I was on a train from New Eltham to London Bridge last Sunday, early evening, around 19.45.
Sitting near me was a teenaged girl, around 15 or so, with presumably her parents sitting opposite her.
She sat with her back against the window, knees drawn up to her chin, Ugg boots planted firmly on the seat next to her, while she read a magazine.
As the train pulled in to New Cross, a woman in her mid to late forties stood up and walked toward a carriage door in order to alight.
As she passed the girl she said quietly, "Not a good idea to put your feet on the seat, someone could get dirt on their clothes if they sat there."
The girl didn't bat an eyelid, but her mother said in a loud voice, "F**k off you busy bitch!"
The woman just gave her a contempuous look, got off, and walked away.
I felt that I should have said something, but it was too late, the moment had passed.
Christ, I detest chavs.
Tuesday 11 October 2011 10.25pm
Hi Tom.

Don't hate me, but I think you could have said something.

Years ago the train attendant would have passed and ask to put the feet down, now they don't even bother as it looks like it is a hopeless task. Seats are not only dirty but they smell of feet..
Last night I came from the airport and couple was sitting with their feet on the seats in front (shoes on). When I asked if I could sit they made a face like I was bothering them.

I wanted to talk but like you I swallowed it.

Now you will hate me even more maybe but I have to say that here in England is much worst than abroad. (other things are better, but this is not...)

Have a good night.
Tuesday 11 October 2011 10.44pm
Chavs. Take a photo of them (with feet on seats etc) with your mobile, they won't like that. But yes, it's disgraceful that law abiding people get abused either verbally or physically for defending something normal. I see so many "parents" of children who don't give a toss about their children and where they are etc. For example treating the supermarket like a playground. There should be a new law, time to get radical.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 12.16am
I personally dont agree with you calling the girl a Chav just cos she had Ugg boots on they was probally moody ones,also it was more her parents fault they should of told her from the moment she put her feet up to get them down plus who knows if the girl could even hear what the passing woman said,the girl may be deaf or had a ipod on...
Wednesday 12 October 2011 7.15am
Real-Crimes wrote:
I personally dont agree with you calling the girl a Chav just cos she had Ugg boots on they was probally moody ones,also it was more her parents fault they should of told her from the moment she put her feet up to get them down plus who knows if the girl could even hear what the passing woman said,the girl may be deaf or had a ipod on...

First off, I didn't call the girl a chav just because she was wearing Ugg boots, moody or otherwise, I was generalising.
As far as I was concerned, a) she was wrong in putting her feet there in the first place, b) her parents were remiss in not telling her so, and c) the fact that it happened at all puts all three of them firmly in the chav category.
In addition the girl had no ipod, and had been conversing in normal tones with her parents, so I assume that was not deaf.
Ignorant, stupid, unsociable, but not deaf.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 7.28am
orione wrote:
Hi Tom.
Don't hate me, but I think you could have said something.

I wanted to talk but like you I swallowed it.

Now you will hate me even more maybe but I have to say that here in England is much worst than abroad. (other things are better, but this is not...)

Have a good night.

I don't hate you orione, you are right, I could have said something, perhaps should have said something, but as I said, the moment had passed.
Even if everyone left on the train had expressed their disapproval it would have made no difference to that bunch, they will carry on doing it.
As for it being worse in England than abroad, I firmly agree with you.
I have spent extended periods of time in France, Belgium, Spain and Germany.
The only place I ever saw this occurring was once on a train from Dusseldorf to Bielefeld, Germany, but the two guys straightened up when the ticket inspector entered the car, he didn't have to say a word.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 9.55am
Tom Pepper wrote:
[The only place I ever saw this occurring was once on a train from Dusseldorf to Bielefeld, Germany, but the two guys straightened up when the ticket inspector entered the car, he didn't have to say a word.

Earlier this year I travelled by train from Valencia to Cartagena in Spain and sitting near me was a young man with his feet on the seat. When the ticket inspector/guard came into the carriage he actually kicked his feet off the seat with a stern warning. The guy sheepishly apologised even though he was with his pals - that would never happen in the UK.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 1.15pm
Real-Crimes wrote:

Alternatives may be to assess chavness based on spelling and grammar I guess?
Wednesday 12 October 2011 5.43pm
se1lurker wrote:
Real-Crimes wrote:

Bullseye, lurker, bang on the pickle barrel!
I'd like to agree, but I could not possibly comment!
Wednesday 12 October 2011 8.06pm
Debrajoan wrote:
se1lurker wrote:
Real-Crimes wrote:

Bullseye, lurker, bang on the pickle barrel!
I'd like to agree, but I could not possibly comment!

oh dear lord
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: