16 reasons to visit SE16

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 12 October 2011 1.48pm
Lazy article in the Standard which seems to confuse SE16 with SE1

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle/article-23997270-16-reasons-to-visit-se16.do
Wednesday 12 October 2011 1.57pm
Perhaps it's because the article headline would have been "1 reason to visit SE1"
Wednesday 12 October 2011 2.43pm
That's ridiculous. Every one of them is in SE1.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 2.59pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Perhaps it's because the article headline would have been "1 reason to visit SE1"
That's enough about me....let's talk about something less wonderful ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 4.28pm
Journalists don't write the headlines, poor woman has been getting abuse all day and it was an editor's fault.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 6.38pm
[quote beetroot]That's ridiculous. Every one of them is in SE1.

I only gave it a cursory glance, but there was a shot of The Mayflower pub, that is in Rotherhithe Street, SE16, and the pseuds corner contender Rotherhithe Village can be nowhere else than SE16.
Rotherhithe Village!!
You couldn't make it up! Oh wait, hang on though.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 6.48pm
Yes, you're right. I even realised where they meant with Rotherhithe Village and immediately forgot. I think that was cringe avoidance.
One of them in SE16 then.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 11.54pm
I lived in Rotherhithe for 16 years, and worked in the beautiful Georgian 'Old Schoolhouse' for 5 of those years.

There is an element of great charm about that immediate area, with St Mary's, The Mayflower, Rotherhithe Picture Library and Sands films. The cobbles returned a few years after the Council had spent a lot of money covering the old cobbles - and it was the Council that created the name: Rotherhithe Village.

The building programme over recent years has created hundreds of new flats; it is one of the very few areas where property prices have increased, during the recession.

Indeed, this was a stupid and totally incorrect headline from the Editor, or the Sub; some better research wouldn't have gone amiss: Sortwave tickets are now 8 and, of course, the Pizzaro isn't open.
Thursday 13 October 2011 10.02am
Yes love that little stretch of rotherhithe. Its really nice now and a lovely walk on sundays. There are also lots of amazing cherry trees which i try and get the husband to pick from in summer. Drinks in the mayflower are overpriced though. Are the kobi burgers much cop?

Re the article I think it started out as a piece principally on bermondsey and they tried to mispackage it as some se16/se1 piece. If it was about se1 surely they would put in southbank, lower marsh etc?
Thursday 13 October 2011 10.43am
I also love that little stretch in Rotherhithe. I've lived in this area for 4 years but only quite recently discovered that stretch of cobbled streets. I'd love a flat down there.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: