How should our area evolve and develop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
jpm
Thursday 13 October 2011 8.27am
I'm involved with the Bermondsey Neighbourhood Forum, a community group putting together a neighbourhood plan for the area between Borough High Street, Tower Bridge Road, Harper Road, New Kent Road and the River.

We're trying to get as broad a picture as possible of how people want to see the area evolve and develop and what the key issues are - shops/traffic/schools/history (and certainly a lot of these pop up as common themes in the forum!)

We're asking anyone who lives/works/uses the area to give us their views in a 5-min short online survey http://svy.mk/BNFsrvs - we'd love to hear from you and anyone who's interested

Thanks for your help

(James - I hope this post is acceptable as this isn't commercial advertising - just volunteers trying to spread the word. If there's any problem then do delete this as you see fit.)
Thursday 13 October 2011 9.05am
Why does this area stop at TOwer bridge road? I.e the rich side where the housing is twice the price. Bermondsey goes quite far in the opposite direction!

will fill in survey
Thursday 13 October 2011 9.34am
Is that not the same footprint as Chaucer Ward or am I mistaken?
Thursday 13 October 2011 9.36am
It contains bits of Chaucer, Grange and Riverside wards.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 13 October 2011 9.45am
The subject of area boundaries has come up a few times recently, including the recent topic of the paper confusing postcodes with area names.

jpm, if your group is only concerned with the area you describe for the survey you surely have the wrong name? West Bermondsey Neighbourhood Forum would be less misleading. The area you describe covers about a third of Bermondsey.
Thursday 13 October 2011 10.02am
Essentially, it's the Bermondsey St Area Neighbourhood Forum isnt't it?
Thursday 13 October 2011 10.42am
it irritates me. The council recently chose to continue the street cleaning in "bermondsey" ie the other side of tower bridge road (rich bit, prime location, where tourists visit, shard etc) and the street cleaning round here has been reduced and now it's a pit. YOu only need to look down grange road and round abbey street to see piles of rubbish everywhere. It was so much tidier not that long ago, yes I appreciate there needs to be cuts but someone even poo'ed outside our flat last week! We are now having to clean up after ourselves here, whilst across the way our nearby neighbours are worrying about white cube!! Is that on the survey? Stopping people let along dogs sh*tting on the street :)
jpm
Thursday 13 October 2011 11.17am
@jamesup  Our area stretches right the way down to the Bricklayers Arms so we are very much <b>NOT</b> the Bermondsey Street planning forum (I live right the far end of the patch from Bermondsey Street, for example).

My (personal) view is that the big push on development will be at the South end of the patch - most of the riverside has been done now (with Potters Fields on the way) and Bermondsey Street already has a lot of protection through 'conservation area' status.  For me, I'm more worried about what's going to happen to a disused site right next to my flat and other bits of green space around m

To make things easier - a map of our area is on our website http://yourbermondsey.org/?page_id=11 if that helps

As to what's in a name....  there's already been a discussion in the forum about the merits of calling the area Bermondsey http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/138348/138355

To be honest, we're stuck with the name now as this is what the Government called us when we were awarded frontrunner status
http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/corporate/1879129  - we were always just the 'Neighbourhood Forum'.

I think the name may have orginally have been given the name Bermondsey in some paperwork (the council maybe?) to differentiate ourselves from the other Neighbourhood Planning group working in Bankside.

However if a group of people in the area east of Tower Bridge Road want to set up their own Neighbourhood Forum then we'd be happy to share our experiences and work with them to get them going.
Thursday 13 October 2011 11.23am
Thanks JPM, that makes a lot more sense.

I would be interested, not for the east, but for the E&C.
jpm
Thursday 13 October 2011 11.36am
The Elephant & Castle has it's own 'opportunity area' (designated by the Council) which starts at Harper Road - so this neatly joins our patch at the South West corner.

Again we're happy to help if a Neighbourhood Forum sets up to cover that area
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: