London Road bus lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 13 October 2011 8.30pm
Seem to be an incident on London Road this evening, buses diverted down St George's Road.

Hope no one was hurt
Friday 14 October 2011 8.00am
it looked pretty serious-I hope the person involved is ok

that crossing there is bad as the light to tell you to cross the road does not actually work in sync with the bus lane so it may say cross but the bus lane is green for traffic-i had a big row with a bus driver there once when my son and i were crossing the road and he actually got out and looked and agreed with me-he did say he would be very careful there in future.

you would think with 3 primary and a secondary school in close proximity that this would be as safe as they could make it-also if you do not know the area you may not be aware buses will be coming against the traffic flow
Friday 14 October 2011 8.17am
A coach was parked at the junction of Garden Row when I went past. Like you say DeeDee its a bad crossing and something needs to be done before any more people get hurt.
Friday 14 October 2011 4.40pm
Hi,

I live round the corner, and this is at least the THIRD incident in a year where a bus has hit a pedestrian on the west side of London Road, a few yards either side of the junction with Garden Row.

All three pedestrians were seriously injured. The first (of the three I've seen) was reported here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4952

As you can see in the photos, the front window of the bus was bullseyed by the pedestrian's head, and I saw this again on the bus involved in the second accident. This third time, yesterday, the front of the coach was metal at head height, not glass, with no visible damage.

The pedestrian in the first accident was a Greek student, and his treatment for his serious injuries was featured on the TV programme "24 hours in A&E".

I think you should be able to see a clip here:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/24-hours-in-ae/video/series-1/episode-1/s1-ep1-code-red
although for some reason it won't play for me.

One of my neighbours has been in touch with Simon Hughes MP and others to try and get TfL to remove the contraflow bus lane, which has apparently only been in place for 7 or 8 years. I think Simon Hughes is progressing it with TfL.

My neighbour is convinced, and I have come to agree with him, that this contraflow bus lane is causing the high level of accidents.

This road design seems to confuse pedestrians, who only look the other way, before stepping straight in front of a bus, which is what seems to have happened for all three of these poor people.

It's really horrible. The first time I only saw the bus, but I felt deeply shocked. This time I saw a crowd of people around the man who had been hit, and people were describing blood flowing from his head, but, truthfully, all I thought, was, oh dear, another one?

This really shouldn't be something that has started to feel routine. I hope he recovers OK.

All the best,

Jessica
Zoe
Friday 14 October 2011 6.15pm
I don't think they should get rid of the contraflow bus lane, but they should have a lot more signs and things to bring it to people's attention, like arrows saying look both ways.

It's shocking that the green light isn't in line with the bus lane.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: