Southwark Free School - Peter John's comments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
ZB
Friday 14 October 2011 2.39pm
"Council leaderís fury as Michael Gove approves two Southwark free schools" (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5584)

Am I angry about this?! Yes!

I'm a parent on Long Lane. No local need for more school places? Let alone at a good school I don't have to polish a church organ to get my child into. Really?!

Talking to other parents and seeing everyone at the Free School's stall at the Bermondsey Street Festival, I know I'm not alone in offering my support (even if not on Facebook).
Friday 14 October 2011 10.26pm
From ZB's link:

'Southwark's new secondary school will be run by the Compass Schools Trust, spearheaded by Peter Wilkinson who was until last month chair of Borough Market.'

Hahahaha!
Saturday 15 October 2011 11.22am
PJ's stance on it is that the government is professing localism, whilst removing the resources for the local council to make changes (like new schools) whilst parachuting new school developments in from central government.

I can see why you're angry, but I can also see why he is.
Saturday 15 October 2011 11.58am
The more schools are run by parents and teachers, the less they are run by Peter John and his ilk, the better. How can we tell? Because that ilk has run schools for 50 years and the evidence is in.
Saturday 15 October 2011 8.05pm
Boroman wrote:
From ZB's link:
'Southwark's new secondary school will be run by the Compass Schools Trust, spearheaded by Peter Wilkinson who was until last month chair of Borough Market.'

Hahahaha!

A word of warning to any potential pupils and their parents. Don't mention Maltby Street! Maybe Mr Wilkinson can get in the recently ousted BM director as headmistress and the annoying little fella as head prefect. Bringing the crack team back together again!
Saturday 15 October 2011 11.43pm
The need for more school places at least in the north of the borough is clearly there. We are currently doing the rounds in the search for a primary school in the area and even the mediocre ones seem oversubscribed. There are a few fabulous schools though, both council controlled and led by other organisations.

I do understand his anger, and it remains to be seen if Whitehall control is any better than Southwark.

A few free schools are frankly not going to make such a big difference, since almost half of the local primary schools are academies, foundation schools or voluntary aided schools and therefore not fully under Southwark Councilís control. What is the situation for secondary schools, are they mostly community schools?
Sunday 16 October 2011 6.29pm
What is/will be the admissions criteria for free schools?
Sunday 16 October 2011 7.23pm
At least for primary free schools it is very similar to community schools, SEN kids and looked after children first, then siblings then catchment area, plus religious requirement if the free school is religious.
Sunday 16 October 2011 7.31pm
Katia wrote:
What is the situation for secondary schools, are they mostly community schools?
No - every secondary school in Southwark is either an academy or voluntary-aided.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 16 October 2011 7.42pm
Thank you Katia.

Another question,is it true that free schools will not be bound by the national curriculum?I heard this the other day,not sure how I feel about it tbh.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: