Scary lorry incident London Bridge.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
spindrift Tuesday 18 October 2011 10.09am
Guy's street Tuesday 18 October 2011 10.21am
Had a look at this earlier - I don't understand which direction the bike was travelling in?

It looks like the HGV is turning right into Tooley St, so either the cyclist was in front and doing the same, or was heading south over the bridge down BHS. If the latter though, it looks like the lorry hadn't yet moved from the middle of the road where it would wait for oncoming traffic to clear before turning.

Very scary, and a lucky escape indeed!
spindrift Tuesday 18 October 2011 10.31am
Are lorries allowed to turn there? I'm guessing it's steel for The Shard or the associated works, they're flipping huge girders. My God, I hope she's ok.
LongLane Tuesday 18 October 2011 11.09am
The article seems to suggest as she 'went under' she flipped herself round and got her feet up onto the bumper, knees bent so she was effectively being pushed along on her back in front of it? Incredibly quick thinking.

Indiana Jones would be proud of that move.

Amazing escape. I hope she is well after such a stressful incident.
jamesup Tuesday 18 October 2011 11.58am
I'm amazed she's alive. Yes, that's a no right turn for lorry's, and shard delivery's use the other route so it must be for the station or The Place?

It continues to amaze me that vehicles are permitted on the road where the driver can't see what is in front of him.
duncr Tuesday 18 October 2011 12.53pm
Gulp the cyclist had a very lucky escape, so lucky she was on her back and managed to put her feet up against the bumper instead of going underneath. The driver looks a bit old and wearing glasses, not the best for being in control of such a large vehicle.
The lorry shouldn't be turning right there but I bet it was the Road Closed signs on Thomas Street that put him off the correct route for Shard deliveries. Thomas Street is still closed next to the Shard despite the trench for pipeworks being finished last week. I think they are keeping it closed just to make entry and exit of vehicles from the site easier for the banksmen.
urbanite Tuesday 18 October 2011 1.03pm
Lots of deliveries being made to The Place which means they have to turn into the bus station....its a rubbish junction at the best of times...but now with St Thomas Street being closed and traffic being forced to turn right into either Tooley St or the bus station its was only a matter of time before something went wrong.
ninja999 Tuesday 18 October 2011 6.37pm
off topic , but saw this on sky news today .....takes a lot to make me say WTF ..but well watch for yerself ....

(be warned the video on sky news is graphic)

Child run down in China - nobody helps
Zoe Tuesday 18 October 2011 9.39pm
I came up behind this lorry and it was really big and I think it was going right illegally down Duke Hill, not to the station, from where it was positioned.

Tthe problem is that the road next to the Shard is closed, and the diversion is down BHS to Long Lane, which takes forever (I've done it by car several times and it's annoying), so people seem to be using the right turn illegally. The almost constant road works on BHS are not helping, and the narrow bit at the top is making the London Bridge junction particularly dangerous.

I think it's disgraceful that TFL appears to take no account of such things and just lets these road closures run and run.

I've been finding going up BHS really unpleasant for the last few weeks by bike, as the closed road and the narrowing of the road is making the car drivers crazy and dangerous.

A bike police officer also told me not to wait directly in front of a lorry at an advanced stop box as they can't see you, which I think this shows.

Glad to hear she was OK, and I hope this doesn't cause long term stress for her (as I think it would me, just seeing the after effects of the accident made me feel all tense and jumpy).
red_bus Wednesday 19 October 2011 9.28am
I can only hope that - if I am in the same situation and some idiot truck driver keeps going as my bike disappears beneath the wheels - I have the same presence of mind. Wow!!!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions