Tabard Sq or Empire Sq?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 20 October 2011 10.16am
I just searched outlets in SE1 that sell Health Lottery tickets and it appears Tesco Long Lane is in Tabard Square.
jpm
Thursday 20 October 2011 11.31pm
When did the name change from Tabard Square to Empire Square. I know it's been mentioned before, but in my old age the brain fades a bit....
Friday 21 October 2011 5.35am
i think it happened just before we Empire Squarers moved in in 2006. the story heard the most is that because Tabard Square sounded too similar to Tabard Street and would confuse the postmen! mail going missing, ending up in the wrong places etc etc Plausible...
Friday 21 October 2011 7.44am
Tabard Square was the marketing name and can still be seen on some signposts around (which no doubt should have been taken down years ago). The name changed at the time if occupation - seems that the post office as a veto n actual postal addresses. Seem to remember that Godfree Court was also marketed under a different name.
Friday 21 October 2011 3.21pm
It was indeed the Royal Mail. Obviously one NEVER encounters adjacent streets with similar names, so it would have been too much for it to be called Tabard Square.
Friday 21 October 2011 11.47pm
The official address of the nursery at that square is Tabard Square.
Saturday 22 October 2011 1.19pm
which is therefore NOT an address!
Monday 24 October 2011 1.36am
It is a description of the location to be put on the envelope for the postman to find. One might call that an address. I hasten to add they actually use both in their address just to make sure:

Bright Horizons
at Tabard Square
Empire Square
jpm
Monday 24 October 2011 2.20pm
Katia -

At the risk of being extremely sad, it's not their official address.
If you go on the Royal Mail website (home of official addresses) you'll see that the address is just Unit10-12 Empire Square, London, SE1 4NA.

... no mention of Tabard Square at all
Monday 24 October 2011 3.03pm
The Royal Mail made a real mess of where I live

Leathermarket Court
Leathermarket Street

regulary gets post for

The Leathermarket
Weston Street

and vice versa....especially as they are around the corner from each other and Royal Mail in its infinite wisdom deems the street name is not necessary in the offical address relying simply on the the building title and post code....leading to post regulary going astray (when they do deliver of course!) and people turning up at the wrong building (fortunately not far from each other).

Suggest the need to re-instert the street address and the usual RM head in the sand/no problem assertations.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: