Cobnuts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Zoe
Sunday 23 October 2011 7.27pm
Am I too late to buy some, is there anywhere locally?

I suddenly realised that I've had none this year as I haven't seen them on sale, and am suddenly craving them!
Monday 24 October 2011 7.07am
I saw them at the maltby street market on the 21st - have no idea how long the season is.

The squirrel eats all of mine.

What do you do w them anyway??
Monday 24 October 2011 8.43am
Zoe please use your local market i.e. Lower Marsh where Dave the greengrocer (first stall as you enter Lower Marsh from Waterloo Road) has had them for a couple of weeks now along with wet walnuts , another rare sight these days.
Go buy.
Monday 24 October 2011 9.32am
Wonder if I've got the energy to go to lower marsh and get some wet walnuts, do you mean green ones TBH? Mum used to pickle them. What days are the market open now?
have a nostalgia moment now my Mum loved cob-nuts as well...:-)
Monday 24 October 2011 9.37am
Eat them, Jim.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 24 October 2011 10.15am
STOP! Dave's out of cobnuts.
I've just got back. I did get some wet walnuts though. They're not green, Jan but they do taste different and they fill the shell.
Dave said there might be cobnuts again but he thinks it's unlikely because they should have ended by now.
Monday 24 October 2011 5.44pm
Ivanhoe, I was hoping for a tad more guidance. Do you eat the whole thing - incl the green outer bit. Or do you peel and crack them and only eat the inner bit (if there is one?). Seriously the damn squirrel takes the whole lot in July/Aug before they are even ripe (although dont know how to tell if ripe are not as they seem to start green and go on sale green as well).
Zoe
Monday 24 October 2011 7.30pm
Thanks Beetroot, saved me rushing out only to be disappointed! I shall keep my eyes out for them next year.

Oh no, knowing that I can't have them is making me want them even more.
Wednesday 26 October 2011 7.14am
Sorry. Treat like normal nuts. Shell em and eat em

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: