Another coffee shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 28 October 2011 2.12pm
Yet another coffee shop coming to Tooley St!! Costa Coffee are opening next door to the new Tesco in Tooley St. Is anyone else bored and frustrated that we cannot have anything different in this area!!?
Friday 28 October 2011 2.26pm
Me! Very frustrated!
The pinnacle of frustration was when "Starbucks take away only" opened on borough high street.
Glad to see it mostly deserted...
People take the power back!!! :))
Friday 28 October 2011 2.39pm
Hear, hear.

Unfortunately, I fear local boycotts of chain shops will have limited impact near stations.

As Sainsburys explained when they justified their second Waterloo branch, the Waterloo Road branch is for commuters, not locals (presumably this explains why it's often impossible to get key ingredients, such as streaky bacon or unsalted butter, for preparing meals from scratch) and commuters will continue to use the chains because of their convenience and known quality.

This isn't about choice for us; it's the tyranny of the market.
Friday 28 October 2011 6.01pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
This isn't about choice for us; it's the tyranny of the market.

It's about choice for other people. And the 'tyranny of the market' (sheesh) dictates that that would be more people than 'us'. And the 'us' are lucky enough to not have to get on a train to where the coffee shop is, as we already live there. So...

Is anyone else elated that they live close to so many major transport hubs in the centre of London?
Saturday 29 October 2011 8.21am
the market SHOULD provide greater choice...but the proliferation of Costabucks actually limits choice, and their coffee is dire anyway.
Saturday 29 October 2011 10.46am
Quote:
And the 'tyranny of the market' (sheesh) dictates that that would be more people than 'us'.

Ah yes, the dictatorship of the commutertariat, as I'm sure Lenin would have described it.
Saturday 29 October 2011 2.52pm
they have nothing to lose but their trains...
Saturday 29 October 2011 5.09pm
Man was born free, but everywhere he is in trains.

Too bad Monmouth doesn't open there. They'd clean up.
Saturday 29 October 2011 10.24pm
whatever happened to Sobo?
Sunday 30 October 2011 10.35am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Quote:
And the 'tyranny of the market' (sheesh) dictates that that would be more people than 'us'.

Ah yes, the dictatorship of the commutertariat, as I'm sure Lenin would have described it.

Or, as you lot would seemingly describe people who use trains and want a coffee at either end of their journey, 'them'. Pithier, I'll admit. I was a 'them' twice last week.

One day you too might be a them. Don't worry, you have nothing to lose but your usness.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: