Roundabout at TBR and Great Dover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
jpm Saturday 5 November 2011 10.52am
The Bricklayers Arms roundabout is one of few things built for a grand motorway scheme that was cancelled in 1973 (Called the London Ringway - a plan for 4 concentric motorways around London http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringway_1)

I've also spoken to planners and architects in Southwark who said there was a plan for a tunnel under the Thames just east of Tower Bridge which would have joined up to the Bricklayers Arms roundabout. Apparently and for years there was a 'planning blight' along the shops at the bottom end of Tower Bridge Road (south of Grange Road) - which is why that bit of TBR still looks quite Victorian and wasn't redeveloped like so much of the area.

So yes, a hangover from 1973 - that's one hell of a hangover
James Hatts Saturday 5 November 2011 12.29pm
jpm wrote:
I've also spoken to planners and architects in Southwark who said there was a plan for a tunnel under the Thames just east of Tower Bridge which would have joined up to the Bricklayers Arms roundabout. Apparently and for years there was a 'planning blight' along the shops at the bottom end of Tower Bridge Road (south of Grange Road) - which is why that bit of TBR still looks quite Victorian and wasn't redeveloped like so much of the area

From the June 1979 edition of the SE1 community newspaper:

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
james127 Saturday 5 November 2011 1.01pm
Wow, so could be a lot worse...
Luke Saturday 5 November 2011 4.43pm
The SE1 newspaper article is fascinating! I had no idea that the SE1 community newspaper has been going so long, and had not heard about this road plan or the Urban Aid fund. Can we start an archive on this site? I would be happy to volunteer...
James Hatts Saturday 5 November 2011 4.54pm
The SE1 community newspaper of the 1970s and 1980s has no direct connection with the present publication, though it is one of the things that has inspired us to do what we do.

We've got a few copies and cuttings and they are fascinating - so many of the big issues are exactly the same then and now: the redevelopment of the Potters Fields coach park, the state of Elephant & Castle, the future of Lower Marsh etc etc.

I keep meaning to ask the Southwark Local History Library whether they have old copies of SE1.

A few of the people involved in the original paper (it was a co-operative) are still around. I'm not sure who we'd need to get permission from in order to digitise the archive, but it would be a brilliant and worthwhile project.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
aoibhneas Saturday 5 November 2011 5.11pm
While I'm no fan of the roundabout I do think the planting and general landscaping on it are very good; and I remember being delighted to find it had a well-kept green heart, so to speak, when I first crossed the road and found it.

As regards transport, being a bus fan, I'm very pleased with the extent of the services from the far side of the roundabout on the OKR.

And I agree with James that digitising the original SE1 paper would be a brilliant and worthwhile project. Hope we'll see it happen.
maurits Saturday 5 November 2011 6.12pm
aoibhneas wrote:
While I'm no fan of the roundabout I do think the planting and general landscaping on it are very good; and I remember being delighted to find it had a well-kept green heart, so to speak, when I first crossed the road and found it.

Exactly what I meant in my earlier post: rather a delightful hideaway that no one seems to know about.
aoibhneas Sunday 6 November 2011 11.40am
Firt time I went there I encountered a slightly scary bunch of kids hunkered down in a circle. Dealing? Planning a riot? Turned out they were doing their homework.
jamesup Sunday 6 November 2011 12.11pm
^ like

The wikipedia page about the roundabout says it's unusual dimensions were to safeguard the site of a bakerloo line extension station at the centre, ala Old Street.
Auntie Pat Sunday 6 November 2011 11.28pm
It used to be our refuge place for fire drills when I was a pupil at St Saviour's and St Olave's back in the 70s. We used to gather in the school playground until there was a bomb scare (back in 1971) and they realised we'd all be showered with broken glass if a bomb went off! So they moved all subsequent fire drills and bomb alerts to the roundabout.

The subways were a nightmare, as they attracted all the local perverts and flashers. We were always being told not to use the subways alone.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions