Elephant and Castle Eastern Cycle Bypass

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 November 2011 11.27am
Hi all,

The Elephant and Castle is the most dangerous junction for cycling in London. Previous plans to replace the roundabout with a safe junction are not going forward - we need an alternative route and it needs to be fast, direct and safe.

The current masterplan layout places a 30 storey building in the path of the vital eastern cycle bypass. I need your help now to get Lend Lease, Southwark and TfL to agree to protect the route of the eastern bypass.

You can see details of the routes on this presentation http://tiny.cc/elephantbypass

Your support now could make all the difference. Please write to the consultation at heygate@soundingsoffice.com and ask them to put the bypass in the scheme.

Thanks.

James
TAK
Thursday 3 November 2011 7.48pm
What about posting a copy what you sent so we can copy and paste?
Have you been in touch with London Cycling Campaing?
Also, the Cycling bypass on west is far from Ideal me thinks - maybe the whole lot needs to be looked at in a holistic way?
Thursday 3 November 2011 8.01pm
Oh absolutely - but the western side isn't going anywhere - the best route for the east is currently open ground, but will get built on unless we get this masterplan changed now.

Yes, been in touch with LCC, they are been helpful if not overwhelmingly so (they have other issues they are prioritising for the mayoral election).

I'd simply email and say:

I'd like to register my support for providing a direct, fast and safe elephant and castle cycle bypass - linking Hampton Street and Meadow Row - as show on this presentation (http://tiny.cc/elephantbypass).

We've already spoken so they know about it, but numbers count in this game.

Thanks!
TAK
Tuesday 6 March 2012 1.34pm
Remember Boris stating the elephant was perfectly fine to cycle about as long as one keeps his wits about himself?

I wrote to the Major disagreeing and got this half hearted useless reply:

Email on behalf of David McNeill, Director of Public Affairs and Stakeholder Engagement

Dear Mr TAK

Thank you for your further email of 10 January. The Mayor has asked me to respond to you.
All road users should keep their wits about them while they are on the road. A safe cycling environment is about road design and the behaviour of drivers, pedestrians and cyclists. Transport for London (TfL) takes the education of cyclists very seriously and regularly runs campaigns to promote safe cycling. In 2011, TfL developed a cycle safety code with 12 tips for cyclists, and included information about appropriate clothing and how to stay visible at night. The code, which will be integrated in all future communications with cyclists, such as through the cycle guides, is also available online at tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14798.aspx.
TfL is also working to support the boroughs in providing cycle training to people who live, work or study in their borough. Cycle training is provided at a variety of ability levels and includes information about the rules of the road. Boroughs have been encouraged to increase the number of adults they train and in 2010/11 there was a 42 per cent increase in the number of individuals trained, compared with 2008/09.
In addition, TfL is conducting an independent review into the design, operation and driving of HGVs in London and is working with the construction industry to ensure all freight drivers receive specific training to look out for cyclists.
As you may know, the Barclays Cycle Superhighway Route 7 provides a bypass that allows cyclists to avoid Elephant & Castle Northern Roundabout. Transport for London (TfL) is also currently working with developers to improve the eastern bypass route, which currently uses Elephant Road.
TfL will be reviewing cycling provision at around 150 junctions on the TfL Road Network, which includes the Elephant & Castle northern roundabout. TfL will produce a list of options for potential cycle improvements at these junctions, which will then be reviewed by experts from TfL and external organisations, including bodies representing the main road user groups, the police and the local boroughs. More information is available online at tfl.gov.uk/junctionreview.

Thank you again for writing to the Mayor about this important matter.
Yours sincerely

David McNeill
TfL Director of Public Affairs and Stakeholder Engagement
Tuesday 6 March 2012 2.25pm
jamesup wrote:
Hi all,
You can see details of the routes on this presentation http://tiny.cc/elephantbypass

I can't. I just get 'This web page is not available'.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: