No. 12 bus: double decker

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 3 November 2011 11.51pm
So on Saturday we say goodbye to another bendy busy route: the 12. It'll be going double decker with an increased weekday and nighttime frequency. Personally I'm glad - since the 453 went double decker the 12 has always been suspiciously packed! I think most people are happy this is going double decker, but is anyone here unhappy to be losing the bendies?
Friday 4 November 2011 1.38am
Tbh I think it's a waste of money but it was what Boris promised he would do and he was voted in so he's given the people what they wanted!
Friday 4 November 2011 9.01am
The bendy buses are the worst thing that ever happened to London's streets....increased accidents with all other users of the roads, huge amount of fare evasion, numerous roads regularly blocked...they just don't fit on London's streets so good ridance to them
Friday 4 November 2011 9.44am
I will miss them - I have a monthly bus pass and I loved the convenience they provided of being able to hop on and off very easily. For example - if you get on the 47 to London Bridge on Jamaica Road at 5pm, the top deck is empty but everyone stands like sardines on the bottom deck because they want to get off at london bridge, even though if they just went up and had a seat life would be easier for everyone - problems like that don't happen with bendy buses. But they both have their pros and cons eh!

Also, being 6"4, I can fit into more seats on the bendy buses than I can on double deckers. That said, the newer buses (such as the 38 bus) are better spaced out than the older ones.
Friday 4 November 2011 12.42pm
I will miss the bendy, they're great from the passengers point of view, quick boarding and disembarking and all on onw level. Seems crazy to get rid of new buses, and also to have to increase staff costs by increasing frequency.
Friday 4 November 2011 1.02pm
Yes but they are losing tons of cash on the bendy because of folks not paying for their journey. Have a friend who lives on the continent with bendy buses and he reckons nobody would dream of not paying - don't know why it's different over here.
Friday 4 November 2011 1.07pm
I guess they decided the revenue loss was less than the cost of employing mroe inspectors? if you're really set on fare evasion you can get away with it pretty easily on normal buses too.
Friday 4 November 2011 2.37pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Have a friend who lives on the continent with bendy buses and he reckons nobody would dream of not paying - don't know why it's different over here.

I'm not an habitual bus traveller, but I've used them on occasion in Warsaw, Brussels, Paris and a couple of German cities.
There were regular ticket checks on most routes, and I've seen people have their details recorded, and ordered off the bus in both Poland and France.
I wouldn't say that most other Europeans would not try to evade their fare, but over here it is endemic.
I think that the prevailing attitude over here is, "Let's stick it to the man."
The "man" in this instance being the bus company.
Friday 4 November 2011 2.51pm
Think you are right DJ. Specifically - my mate used the bus extensively in Germany and commented fare avoidance was rare.
Friday 4 November 2011 5.27pm
I miss the bendy bus on the 521 route - the replacement bus is really bad for people with disabilities as there is only one seat for anyone with mobility problems - they've stuck a little sign with a stick figure with a walking stick next to the seats near the exit but there is a really high step up to those seats which I can't manage! If you're lucky enough to get the only accessible seat, you then have to fight your way off the bus as it's always really crowded.

My big problem with all buses is that a lot of drivers won't "kneel" the bus down so you can get on - they just look at you while you struggle to get up the step.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: