Fake storefront buildings?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 4 November 2011 4.36pm
So what's the deal with that entire block of buildings before E&C that has a bunch of fake storefronts? Hopefully they won't be demolished -- seems like a great site for, well, actual stores and restaurants.
Friday 4 November 2011 4.47pm
Do you mean the Duke of Clarence and the shops on London Road?

More info here here

A similar thing exists in Bayswater where two 'fake' house facades have been created to mask the railway line behind.It is only on close inspection that one can tell it is not real.
Friday 4 November 2011 5.16pm
LSBU have been going to rebuild there for simply ages, but things seem to have ground to a halt.
Friday 4 November 2011 11.04pm
Wow, sounds like the universities in this borough are the real slumlords, huh? Look at King's College scaffolding and this stretch of buildings. That could be a real gem of a block -- and the buildings aren't in "that" bad of condition.
Saturday 5 November 2011 5.36pm
The idea was to leave the facades which are very nice and historic, and rebuild the interiors...but as I say, I think like many projects, the finance has run out and things are on hold.
Saturday 5 November 2011 5.42pm
LSBU has just put in a planning application and things are happening again.

There was a consultation exhibition a few weeks ago but I haven't written it up yet - watch this space.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 November 2011 10.38am
It is indeed a splendid location as it connects Waterloo with both E & C and The Borough. Once this is done up, it'll change the entire area.
Friday 11 November 2011 1.36am
I had no idea they were fake !! They do look real. Probably an abandoned project as a few people say earlier
Friday 11 November 2011 10.23am
There was something in yesterday's Southwark News about this. It seems the plan is for the facades to be retained but for a modern, multi-purpose facility to be built for the university. I guess the end result will be something like 'Tooley Street terrace' (the Red Bull studio that was previously the Antigallican, Maria's cafe, etc) but on a much bigger scale. Apparently the LSBU will fundit all as a result of what is as described as 'excellent financial management'.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: