Anyone else annoyed In Great Guildford Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 10 November 2011 9.54pm
Anyway, I'll stop. My temper tends to take me astray. I genuinely hope your nuisance problem can somehow be solved.
Thursday 10 November 2011 9.59pm
Totally agree windmill walker I've grown up round here they inject and dump all-around..st mungos say they can use in there room but these people don't care and act awful..Edward abusive parents and gangs school mates never seen those problems!!
Thursday 10 November 2011 10.04pm
This also includes the noise and shouting and arguing though the night and day..they are closing it for 2 years to make an inner area to sit rather than the staires which won't make a jot of difference...such a shame hope it could be resolved
Thursday 10 November 2011 11.17pm
Holly wrote:
Totally agree windmill walker I've grown up round here they inject and dump all-around..st mungos say they can use in there room but these people don't care and act awful..Edward abusive parents and gangs school mates never seen those problems!!
I am not affected by this, but have been in analogous situations. I am absolutely sick of do-gooders who in fact do harm - harm especially to the derelicts and potential derelicts who cause these problems. I am all in favour of voluntary charity (St Mungo's is predominantly a fake charity funded by involuntary tax) and fully realise that there but for the grace of God go I, and may yet go, but the liberal apologetics are bullshit all the way round. You want to help a derelict, take him into your home and show him love, or sometimes more helpful, show him the alternative of death or self-determination.
Anyone exposed to the realities in Africa or India sees how desperate are the circumstances dealt with by brave, life-enhancing men,women and children and how nobly many act in adversity. Beggars, drunks and other addicts in SE1 are mostly products of liberal feel-good policy which rewards or excuses their self-degradation.
Thursday 10 November 2011 11.44pm
You're not affected by this, "do gooders" make you sick, yet you take to this topic like a fly to (b)s. Your pet hates are a bit predictable, as is the outcome of this dead end debate, so good night everyone. And I mean EVERYONE.
Thursday 10 November 2011 11.44pm
Perhaps I should have been clearer: I didn't witness drug dealing but drug use. I don't really feel I can justify taking photos of that.

And I know it sounds like a bit of a cliché, but as a young woman I feel especially bothered when they are all sitting down on both sides of the road in groups. When the rest of the street is quiet/deserted and they are all just watching you walk past, it's a bit unnerving.

The problem I have is nothing to do with the fact that they're homeless but with their behaviour. I know it's wrong to tar them all with the same brush, but I don't see why everyone else around St Mungo's who is paying to live here should have to put up with the noise etc. If tenants in one of the flats here were being as noisy (blaring music at 2am, shouting disgusting things at each other from window to window) I'm sure we would have grounds for formal complaint.

My flatmate also witnessed a very drunk woman staggering into the street from St Mungos, nearly causing a van to crash into her. The woman then lay down in the street and lolled about while a man tried to pull her up. I know it all sounds very NIMBY but it really does have an effect on everything around it.

Having said that, although it's a total nuisance, I have heard from neighbours that it used to be a lot worse. Apparently before they had locked doors at the bottom of our buildings, the people who were turned away from St Mungos would come and sleep in the stairwells of the flats. The lady living here before us came home one evening to find a man passed out propped against her front door!
Thursday 10 November 2011 11.46pm
Also, sorry to hear about your scar Edward, sounds horrible. :(
Friday 11 November 2011 12.39am
Very true Ohoo. I agree completely.

I also live in the flats behind St. Mungos.

After a night of loud music and screaming I rang a number off Southwark Council's website relating to anti-social noise levels. The people were very friendly, helpful and sympathetic and gave me a number to ring where someone would come immediately if there was a problem. The next night I found myself ringing the number and, lo and behold, nobody answered. This has happened several times.

I have also emailed St. Mungos about the levels of noise and anti-social behavior in the surrounding area - aka where I live. The response essentially attacked me for being against homeless people. I really dislike how any complaints against St Mungos immediately make you anti-homeless. I fully support what they do, I just don't support the screaming of foul language, constant alarms and loud (and bad) music being played day and night. If people in the offices opposite were behaving in the same way, I would complain about them too. They are, however, not.

How can we do something constructive about this?
Friday 11 November 2011 12.41am
**** As I am sending this message there are people screaming f*** off Patrick F*** OFFFFFFF.

A perfect soundtrack for bedtime.
Friday 11 November 2011 1.20am
Weaver wrote:
**** As I am sending this message there are people screaming f*** off Patrick F*** OFFFFFFF.
A perfect soundtrack for bedtime.

I had a similar experience. I joined a discussion on a community website, and got told my opinion "makes people sick" and that believes I hold are "bullshit". I won't even go into how I feel about being stereotyped as a "liberal" and a "do gooder", but I agree, not a great soundtrack for bedtime.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: