Pelican Crossing Loud Audible Signal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 11 November 2011 1.44pm
Yesterday the Pelican crossing at the juction of Blackfriars Road and Webber Street was fitted with an audible signal.

While I fully appreciate the benifit of this signal for visually impaired pedestrians, it just seems really loud. I live on the third floor (not facing the road) my bedroom window must be at least 100m from the junction, and yet I could clearly hear the sound as I was trying to get to sleep last night. (Around 23:30)

Having found a Department of Transport document online, it appears that in residential areas the sounds can be switched off at night. I have written tio TFL with this sugestion.

My reason for posting - Has anyone else had any experience of this kind of thing?
Friday 11 November 2011 2.02pm
Same thing in Marshalsea Road a while back. Try this:

Fix My Street
Friday 9 December 2011 3.12pm
@La Martinet - Many thanks

UPDATE: This week TFL disabled the audible signal. Here is the reply I got from them.

---

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the above matter. I appreciate the time you have taken to raise your concerns with us.

Please accept my apology for any inconvenience this matter may have caused. On receipt of your enquiry, the details were passed to the relevant signals team for further investigation.

I have since been advised that engineers have investigated this site and disconnected the audibles signals as this site is also fitted with tactile units. We are currently investigating the possibility of installing a time switch for the pedestrian signal audibles at this site. Please be assured that after this investigation, any necessary action will be taken.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write on this matter and should you require any further assistance, please do write to me again.
TAK
Friday 9 December 2011 10.08pm
In Japan the actually use some bird twitching type of sound when the green man is on - and this by far quieter than the horrid noise we have here. At first I thought this was really bizarre but got used to it after a day or so.

I always have been wondering if the audible signal really needs to be as loud as they tend to be in London? Just wondering really and happy to be corrected!
Monday 12 December 2011 2.00pm
James_Blackfriars_Road wrote:
this site is also fitted with tactile units

Reading a report on accessible crossings in Islington, I recently found out what this meant.

If you're curious (as I was), some pelican crossing button boxes are fitted with a rotating cone underneath. If you have trouble seeing the green man you can grip the cone underneath the box. It rotates when the signal to cross turns green.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: