24Hr minicab office in Shad Thames: 4 days left to object

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 12 November 2011 2.00pm
This concerns people living around Queen Elizabeth St.

Planning application 11-AP-3053 has until the 18th Nov for objections.

There is a proposed change of use of Unit 18, The Circle from class A1 retail to a 24Hr mini-cab office.

My principal concern, having read the documents is that, although the applicant states that there is to be no parking of vehicles and that the office will be used for dispatch only, there is no means of enforcing this properly once planning consent has been given.

The proposed office is quite excessive for a 'dispatch only' office, being a reasonable sized shopfront with space for waiting customers. The applicant makes no mention of the potential for customers to visit the office, yet this must be his intention given the location. This will attract people to the office, quite probably drunk from the nearby restaurants and bars.

The likely disruption and noise through the night will make life intolerable. In addition Queen Elizabeth Street is a narrow road, densely built up with apartment blocks rising to 5/7th floor level on both sides of the street. There must be in the region of 500 apartments likely to be disrupted by the proposed change of use.

24Hr mini cab offices are associated with noise from people slamming doors, engines starting, talking and smoking outside. There will be an increase in traffic in the street which has several very poor visibility turnings, and the pollution associated with the additional traffic, running engines etc is highly undesirable in such a densely residential street.

There is no 'utility' to having a mini-cab office in this area. there is another one a road a way in Dockhead and numerous black cabs. Finally, the residential heart of Shad Thames is quite inappropriate for a mini-cab office and the proposal should be rejected in line with the protection of the environment of this area.

Please e-mail planning.applications@southwark.gov.uk
Monday 14 November 2011 8.23am
Brendan -

Nicely and succinctly put. I agree with the concerns you raise. Additionally my flat overlooks Shad Thames so no doubt this will increase the noise and traffic with additional cars turning the corner.

Various restaurant / pub licensing applications have been challenged for similar reasons, and the additional issues of traffic / parking you raise will only bring heightened problems.

Chris
Friday 25 November 2011 4.36pm
I've only just seen this thread and live near the Circle.

BrendanD did you put in an objection?

Looking at the register it says:

"This case has no appeals against it"

Does that mean yours wasn't received?

Tosh
Friday 25 November 2011 4.45pm
Tosh - you can read all the objections the council has received here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: