Royal Oak Pub?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 15 November 2011 12.20pm
Hi,

Do you any of you know if the Royal Oak Pub -- opposite the apartment tower -- does Christmas dinner? If not, other suggestions in SE1 (or broader London) for a pub Christmas? Good food and charm :)

Cheers
Tuesday 15 November 2011 2.27pm
They do. They have a nice room upstairs for hire, for circa 16 people for a sit-down meal. Go in and talk to them, and they'll tell you all about it (and will probably correct me on the number of people they can fit in).

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 November 2011 2.49pm
Funny this should come up. I was there on Saturday evening and saw their Christmas menu on the wall as I went in. Didn't stop to read it properly, so I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but I think it said 70 per person. I know it's Christmas, but that sounded like quite a lot to me. As I said, I may have misread. No doubt someone will have the right info!
Tuesday 15 November 2011 2.56pm
Some SE1 wesbite folks get together for an Xmas meal.

We used to use the Royal Oak because the food is excellent and the service fantastic.

However, we switched last year because it was simply too expensive.

You can see the current Xmas Meal thread in "Socials". We are not using the Royal Oak again this year - mainly because of the cost.
Tuesday 15 November 2011 7.46pm
Yes, I am just looking to have a meal with my parents -- that's bloody insane.
Tuesday 15 November 2011 9.23pm
james127 wrote:
Yes, I am just looking to have a meal with my parents -- that's bloody insane.

What's 'bloody insane'.?

I doubt the 70 is correct - probably more like 27 for Christmas lunch. Why not make the effort to check with the pub, rather than make scathing comments here?

The quality (of the food) at the RO has declined over the last few years, imo, but meanwhile the prices have gone in the opposite direction. So in summary (without making a meal of it): average food fare which is relatively expensive, (probably taking advantage of well-earned good reviews of a couple of years ago), so on the whole a nice local, with Victorian decor, Harveys ales on tap, no juke box, no tv, quite cosy ambience. Nothing more to say.
Tuesday 15 November 2011 10.04pm
Thanks for the summary.
Wednesday 16 November 2011 9.34am
I've been in the Royal Oak a few times, and I've got to say I think it's a lovely boozer.

Not eaten in there yet though, might have a look into the Christmas menu as we're still trying to find somewhere for a family meal.
Wednesday 16 November 2011 9.52am
Oh dear - I seem to have caused an upset with my earlier 'I may have got it wrong ....70' comment. I now feel honour bound to go back and ask, but in my defence the poster definitely has 70 on it. Perhaps it's per couple? Will repost when I've got my facts right!
Wednesday 16 November 2011 1.30pm
Perhaps the 70 was for a Christmas day menu which would be about right.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: