Borough Market - Morel Mushrooms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 17 November 2011 1.10pm
Afternoon everyone,

I know this might seem a strange request, but does anyone know how much I'd be looking to pay for dried morel mushrooms (per 100g, say) up at Borough Market? My step-mother wants me to pick some up for her and suffixed the request with 'take your credit card!' !!!

Any help appreciated!
Thursday 17 November 2011 1.59pm
They'll be askinng for a pound of flesh at Borough Market - you're much better off heading up the road to the grocer on Druid Street (part of the Maltby St market I think they're called Tayshaw Ltd
Thursday 17 November 2011 2.04pm
Much as I could do with losing a few pounds of flesh (though, I'm claiming I'm blubbering up for winter), your suggestion is much appreciated, Yorkie. I'll definitely head up there and have a look.

Thanks so much!
Thursday 17 November 2011 5.14pm
Google dried morels, and be prepared for a big shock.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 November 2011 5.29pm
My step-mother told me the cheapest she's seen is 40 for 100g. That's her xmas present sorted then!
Thursday 17 November 2011 5.38pm
You can definitely get them for less than that. They're only 24.95/100g here and I bet they're not the cheapest.
Whether they're the best or not is another matter...
Thursday 17 November 2011 5.53pm
Firstly, they are very expensive as stated above. Its cheaper to go to John Lewis frankly.

Secondly, from my experience, not the easiest thing to get at Borough these days. The mushroom selection went downhill once Tony left. At Maltby he offers less of a selection unfortunately. I have not tried the mushrooms from Turnips recently, but they do appear to have improved in the last 3 months. They might be worth a go if you definitely want them from BM.
Thursday 17 November 2011 8.25pm
Thanks for all of your help guys - it's very much appreciated.

se1lurker - it's not that I particularly want them from BM, it's just I'm lazy and BM is closest!
Friday 18 November 2011 12.26am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Google dried morels, and be prepared for a big shock.

What type of big shock?
Is it a morel which looks like Jesus?
Or looks like the Pentagon?

I am so excited.
Friday 18 November 2011 12.33am
Hmmmm, despite looking at lots of dried morels on Google (as instructed) I am underwhelmed.

I think Ivanhoe has seriously overstated the 'BIG SHOCK' impact of morels.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: