Bicycle snatched today

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 22 November 2011 10.55pm
I had an unpleasant experience today. I stopped on my cycle ride home to put up a poster on the community notice board on Bermondsey Street. There I was breaking my nails trying with all my might to wrench a couple of spare drawing pins out, when I realised that my bicycle, half-folded on the pavement beside me, was up in the air, snatched by a guy on the back of a moped. As I ran behind them swearing, rather pathetically I admit - it was so shocking - the moped crashed into a parked van. They dropped the bike with such violence that I fear that is the last of its life.

The van driver saw everything and he, like me, managed to get what we thought was the number plate, as well as a piece of plastic off the moped/small motorbike. However when I called the police they had nothing coming up with that number.

I wasn't hurt and it would have been totally heart-wrenching had they actually gone off with my bike. What I'm left with is unridable but somehow it softens the blow.

I have read of previous cases of muggings etc on this forum in that specific area. Do be careful. I am always careful myself, but this truely took me by surprise. Whilst I didn't have my hand on my bike (I often do) it was just beside me, and it was only 4.30 in the afternoon.

My sincere thanks to the van driver for his assistance and calm. Once we got his battery re-started, thanks to the garage on Morocco St (yes it was all happening!!) he went out of his way to drop me at my intended destination, and I hope that his work wasn't too disrupted as a result.

While I'm about it, I'm sure you're all dying to know what the poster was about. There's a great Blues gig tomorrow night at the Brunel Museum in Rotherhithe, the second in a new series. It's all on their website.

Ooph. What a day...
Tuesday 22 November 2011 11.24pm
the baskets! glad you weren't hurt though.
Wednesday 23 November 2011 12.10am
Yikes. Horrible stuff this sort of opportunist crime... Must be some CCTV on B street - hopefully the police will take some action. Good luck!
Zoe
Wednesday 23 November 2011 8.02am
What a terrible thing to happen, I leave my bike next to me folded up and I do worry that someone will grab it, I'll add worry about mopeds to that.

Perhaps you should take it somewhere like Druid cycles and see if they can revive it, it may have a bit of life in it yet.
Wednesday 23 November 2011 10.34am
Elenor

I am a trainee reporter working on behalf of the South London Press and would like to write a article on your story. If you are interested can you plase contact me on [redacted] or [redacted]
Much appreciated,

David Leslie
Wednesday 23 November 2011 2.14pm
Thanks all and to David for the interest. I'm in favour of this getting a bit of coverage if possible.

The back rack and mudguard are quite badly twisted. I don't yet know if the frame itself is also damaged. This will need the attention of someone experienced with Bromptons. Do Druid cycles qualify? I could get to them easily on the bus. Not used them before.

If there existed an award for the widest range of use that people put their Bromptons to I think I'd be in the running. You wouldn't believe the things I've transported on the back of it! So it's a bit gutting but really could have been worse.
Wednesday 23 November 2011 2.19pm
Perhaps a friendly Brompton dealership might be kind enough to fix you up, if you point out that you will be mentioning Brompton in you South London Press article.

Just a thought! - good luck anyway.
Wednesday 23 November 2011 3.35pm
[quote Boss St Bloke]Perhaps a friendly Brompton dealership might be kind enough to fix you up, if you point out that you will be mentioning Brompton in you South London Press article.[quote]

Good idea. I wish I had time to research it. I am going on a much-needed holiday tomorrow afternoon!
Wednesday 23 November 2011 3.47pm
sorry to hear that.. so near my house..

Squeaky Chains CIC
33 Rushworth Street, London SE1 0RB
020 7902 7974 ‎

Might be able to help you?
Wednesday 23 November 2011 5.08pm
Silverjam8 wrote:
sorry to hear that.. so near my house..
Squeaky Chains CIC
33 Rushworth Street, London SE1 0RB
020 7902 7974 ‎

Might be able to help you?

Their webiste seems a bit dodgy:

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

May not be their fault though.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: